Hen with squishy, distended abdomen.

I realize this an old thread but hopeful somebody will see it. I just found a rir that looked like she was having a hard time laying. When I checked her belly it was soft and swollen. What should I do? She's 2 years old. Oh yeah, I just remembered, I think shes the same one I've heard wheezing for a little while.

Ascites is what it sounds like. Aka water belly. Is usually associated with either an infection or organ failure. You can drain it with a syringe but I’d consider a vet for a blood test first. YouTube shows how to drain it. On her right side and not all at once. Antibiotics will be necessary probably

Ascites is what it sounds like. Aka water belly. Is usually associated with either an infection or organ failure. You can drain it with a syringe but I’d consider a vet for a blood test first. YouTube shows how to drain it. On her right side and not all at once. Antibiotics will be necessary probably
Unfortunately none of the vets near me deal with chickens.

I realize this an old thread but hopeful somebody will see it. I just found a rir that looked like she was having a hard time laying. When I checked her belly it was soft and swollen. What should I do? She's 2 years old. Oh yeah, I just remembered, I think shes the same one I've heard wheezing for a little while.
I would start a new thread all your own so more people will see it and respond. An enlarged lower belly can be a sign of ascites, but it might also be a reproductive disorder or fat. Labored breathing or wheezing might be related to either of those. How long ago has she laid an egg? You can insert one clean or gloved finger into her vent and feel for a stuck egg.

Unfortunately none of the vets near me deal with chickens.
I just went thru a bout of this with my Silkie hen. She doing alright now after I did what I suggested. It will eventually be her undoing but for now she’s fine. Maybe your vet could prescribe the Rx at least? Mine gave me Ampicillin and you need to give her .05 ml for at least 10 days twice a day. And drain the fluid with a large gage needle and aspirating syringe. I used an 18 gage needle. I did it two separate days so as not to put her into shock. Let me find the YouTube video

I just went thru a bout of this with my Silkie hen. She doing alright now after I did what I suggested. It will eventually be her undoing but for now she’s fine. Maybe your vet could prescribe the Rx at least? Mine gave me Ampicillin and you need to give her .05 ml for at least 10 days twice a day. And drain the fluid with a large gage needle and aspirating syringe. I used an 18 gage needle. I did it two separate days so as not to put her into shock. Let me find the YouTube video

Here it is. I had my husband help with holding her on a table. Just poke her once and unscrew the syringe to empty it so you aren’t poking her more than once. Like they do when they take blood at the doctors. Maybe you should wrap her in a towel to keep her Calm.

Back
Top Bottom