Hen with sticky saliva on/in beak

She perked up yesterday and was acting a bit more like a normal chicken, and was drinking more. She ate a little bit this morning, I’ll make her some mush later. Thank Eggcesive. I’ll try FishMox.

Would either of these work for her?
C30972F2-7215-423D-ABEA-828012CBA507.jpeg
D87AA375-38A5-49EE-B429-B1E4C48DCB4E.jpeg

Those would work and you will want to give a dose of 125 mg twice daily or 100mg 3 times a day. I usually get 250 mg capsules, and divide them into 2 doses. The 500 mg one will make 5 100 mg doses. Just get it close enough for a correct dose. It will mix into something like liverwurst or cream cheese.

Ok, I’ll get the one with a 100 capsules 250mg. Split into two doses a day? And how should I give it to her? Can I mix it in with water and put it in a needleless syringe?

Last edited:
If you cut the 250mg tablet in half, it's easy to slip the pill right into her beak by pulling down on her wattles or the skin under her beak.

Or do as @Eggcessive suggested, wrap some liverwurst around it or peanut butter. She'll think it's a treat and she's special.

I have been giving her Fishamox since the day before Christmas eve. She hasn't improved. Drinking more, but still isn't eating. She won't eat mush, apple sauce, yogurt, or eggs. And She stayed in the same spot today, hasn't moved. Her crop feels full of water, but doesn't seem like she has food in it. And I don't think the medicine is doing her any good. In fact, it seems like it made her worse. What should I do now? Please help.

Last edited:
If she hasn't improved with the antibiotic, and she seems worse, then it would appear she's given up the fight. You know better than us whether she's worse off, and if she's given up.

You need to consider ending it for her. Send me a private message and I'll tell you how to do it without blood and pain.

@Welsh Ducky I know this post is a few years old, but I was curious what ever happened with your hen? I have a 3 week old chick that has the same issues as your hen.

Sticky saliva, standing in one spot, not really eating or drinking, pooping very little, lethargic, dropping head and wings, puffed up feathers.

I have been giving her water via syringe for the last few days, as well as Corid in hopes it would help. She has tried to eat some feed the last couple of days, which is promising and her poop went from clear water, to runny white poop with a little bit of black.

@Welsh Ducky I know this post is a few years old, but I was curious what ever happened with your hen? I have a 3 week old chick that has the same issues as your hen.

Sticky saliva, standing in one spot, not really eating or drinking, pooping very little, lethargic, dropping head and wings, puffed up feathers.

I have been giving her water via syringe for the last few days, as well as Corid in hopes it would help. She has tried to eat some feed the last couple of days, which is promising and her poop went from clear water, to runny white poop with a little bit of black.

I have a 5 week old chick with the same symptoms. Sticky saliva all around and in mouth so sticky that she has pine shavings stuck all over her face. Hasn’t moved all day I was sure she would die last night but she is still alive this morning in the same condition. I got tylan and tried giving through syringe which didn’t go so well I made her aspirate and she was flopping all around couldn’t breath. I was sure she was a goner. But still alive this morning. 🙏 I am now just going to sprinkle it in her water and dip her beak in it. Any body have any answered to what this might be? Oh her crop feels empty and I have not seen her eating or drinking.

There is a way to safely syringe fluids into a chicken. By inserting the syringe into the esophagus on the chicken's right side of its throat, danger of aspiration is reduced to practically zero.
upload_2019-3-15_10-22-30.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom