Hen with swollen bottom below vent

frenchtchr

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2016
Near Corona, CA
I've got an Ameraucauna (2 years old) who seems to have a swollen bottom below her vent. Her poop seems stuck to her in the feathers near her vent and back side. The bottom portion that's swollen seems to have either new feathers or feathers that are falling out. She's drinking (not sure about eating as she's in the laying box currently). I got her out to check, but she went back in. She lays pretty regularly (3-5 eggs a week depending on season) but her eggs are somewhat narrow shaped if that makes sense? They are much more oval than a "normal" egg or the eggs of any of my other girls.

I think she might have laid a soft shell egg yesterday, but I can't tell if it was hers for sure. I want to clean off her bottom, How can I dry her off when I'm done washing her? Might she be egg bound?

If she is egg bound, she might stay in the lay box and when gotten out would see tail bobbing. It's deadly within 48 hours.

If weather is fine, we let them dry off naturally. Otherwise we use a blow dryer being careful not to make it too hot.

How long has she been in the lay box? Is she staying there?

If her eggs have always been narrow shaped, then that's normal for HER.

Soft eggs are often a hiccup of girls coming into or exiting lay for the season and nothing to worry about most the time... if there is oyster shell or layer feed available for them.

Sorry I can't be more help... I have had two girls with kind of what you describe that I never figured out... Hope you get some more answers and that she recovers quickly. :fl

She goes in the lay box for what amounts to however long she's in there for egg laying, but no eggs from her in at least 3 days. I'm soaking her in a warm bath with epson salts again. I gave her extra calcium, but not sure if it did anything. They're all on a layer feed, and have been since they've been old enough.

Me too, I like my blue eggs, and she's such a pretty girl.

If she is egg bound, she might stay in the lay box and when gotten out would see tail bobbing. It's deadly within 48 hours.

If weather is fine, we let them dry off naturally. Otherwise we use a blow dryer being careful not to make it too hot.

How long has she been in the lay box? Is she staying there?

If her eggs have always been narrow shaped, then that's normal for HER.

Soft eggs are often a hiccup of girls coming into or exiting lay for the season and nothing to worry about most the time... if there is oyster shell or layer feed available for them.

Sorry I can't be more help... I have had two girls with kind of what you describe that I never figured out... Hope you get some more answers and that she recovers quickly. :fl
So she goes in the nesting box, but hasn't laid. The swollen underside seems to have less feathers than the rest of her. I don't remember it being so bald before...she's eating and drinking, though not as much as the rest of the flock. I did the epsom salt soak/bath and abdomen massage and still nothing. Her comb is still red. I'm at a loss. What else could it be? Do I take her to the vet? It's just not like her to not lay this many days in a row.

Back
Top Bottom