Hen with swollen eye - having trouble diagnosing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcanuck, Nov 15, 2016.

1. cluckcanuck

cluckcanuck New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    Ottawa
    [​IMG]

I had a Roo with a swollen eye and when I went to grab him from to coop to be quarantined I noticed a hen also had a slightly swollen eye. I separated them and since then the roo's eye has returned to normal but the hen's has been getting worse. There are no strong smells, she is still eating and drinking, she has no nasal discharge and she seems in good spirits. Her other eye is not affected at all. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC.

Any other signs - coughing, sneezing, wheezing, nasal discharge?

There can be many reasons for a swollen eye. Since you have had 2 with similar symptoms, I would suspect some type of respiratory illness. Other causes could be some type of bacterial infection, a scratch/peck to the eye, etc.

I'm glad to hear your rooster recovered.

For your hen, you can flush the eye with saline, clean out any pus and apply some Vetericyn Eye Gel or Terramycin Eye Ointment. Keep the eye cleaned out the best you can and see if it improves. Keep her separated so you can monitor her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by