hen with watery droppings and multimple symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by finland, Sep 29, 2010.

1. finland

finland New Egg

Sep 29, 2010
    Hello,

My 1-year+ old Americauna hen is sick, and I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help put my finger on what exactly is bugging her. Here are her symptoms:

-Extremely watery droppings with a small amount of gooey white and small log-shaped greenish brown parts
    -Legarthy and disinterest in food (however, she is readily drinking water, and we are giving her homemade electrolytes several times daily)
    -What may be molting (I've had hens for two years now and haven't witnessed a real molt). She's not missing and loosing feathers all over the place, it's more like a fine dandruff that she puts off--like shredded coconut or finely shattered glass.
    -No eggs (I'm unsure exactly how long it's been since she stopped laying.)

She's been acting legarthic and isolating herself in the laying box for weeks, but I haven't been able to isolate her indoors until just yesterday, because I've been out of town. Because she had been hanging in the laying box, I didn't know for sure whether she was laying eggs (we have three hens total and had been consistently getting two daily). Now I'm starting to think it's been some time...

Any ideas on what could specifically be the problem considering these symptoms and suggestions on treatment?

Thanks in advance!

2. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Going through almost the same thing w/my EE hen. I finally got my hands on her this AM, and her crop feels like a small balloon, and she has that sour smell so I'm thinking my problem is "sour crop." I'm going to massage it, and give her ACV in water when I get home from work today. Have you checked your hen's crop?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  4. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    DEFINATELY check her for lice/mites. I currently have a very sick chicken that was completely infested with lice, same syptoms as yours. I dusted her last night with Permythrin (sp?) and literally thousands of these things fell off her. Since she is lethargic, she should be easy to check over. Just move her feathers and look for black specks, that is the lice poop I think. If you see *anything* move on her, dust her ASAP!!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:looptloop. I highly recommend you give your chicken plain yogurt (probiotic) with scrambled egg (protein) mixed in her feed to make a mash and give it to her to eat. I also recommend you get some poultry nutri drench and use an eyedropper and give her 2 drops orally. It's loaded with vitamin and minerals, give it to her no more than 4 days in a row as it can cause diarrhea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by