Hen with weak legs

Lewis108

Hatching
Jan 3, 2016
I have a 2 year old Wyandot hen that has all of sudden weak legs. She is not conjested and is eating and drinking. I have tried extra protein and she isn't egg bound. She has been this way for about a month now. Seems to be ok except legs are so weak she can,t step over anything without falling
down and then it takes her a while to get up. She can walk but it's slow. Any ideas what this could be?
Thanks

Welcome to BYC. Can you bring her in side for warmth, and to watch her for a couple of days? Feed her some electrolytes and vitamins in her water, her normal feed, plus some chopped egg or tuna. Has she laid eggs recently? I would probably worm her with Valbzen or fenbendazole (SafeGuard, Panacur) if she hasn't been wormed recently. Check her skin for lice and mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight. Feel of her keel or breast bone for any weight loss, and check to see if the lower belly is full or tight. Watch her droppings for anything unusual. At this age internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, as well as cancer are common. If it is one of those, not a whole lot can be done, other than some antibiotics and supportive care.

Back
Top Bottom