Hen with wobbly legs

ChickonInc

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 29, 2014
Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
my 2 year old silkie hen is raising 5 chicks which have mareks vaccines. she eats their non medicated chick food. they live in the shed since its so hot. we have a fan going and its cool. they drink tap water.their bedding is pine. the mom looks drunk but all the chicks are fine. she has healthy poop. she just wobbles and it seems hard to walk. what should i do?

Hopefully, it's not Mareks because the vaccine takes about 2 or more weeks to cause immunity. The chicks wound have been exposed before developing immunity. Maybe she has something wrong with a foot or leg. Look at her foot pads for any dark spots or signs of bumble foot. Check her joints for swelling. Feel of her abdomen for swelling. There can be many other causes than Mareks, so don't worry just yet. Start the whole gang on some poultry vitamins in their water, just in case of a deficiency.

Hey ChickonInc

I am far from an expert when it comes to what ails chickens but as your Silkie is raising a brood, a couple of thoughts came to mind.

First one was lice or mite … they do love a nice warm broody and as her general condition would be compromised from nesting, raising little ones etc, she would not be able to tolerate them as well as she would if she was super healthy.

[That is not intended as a reflection on your care practices but moreso that a broody hen will dedicate herself to her brood at the risk of her own health].

My second thought, because of the above, is she definitely getting enough to eat and drink?

Back
Top Bottom