Hen won’t come outside of coop

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
Hey all,

I have a 5 year old Dominique hen who’s became a recluse. She almost never comes out of the coop by herself, she just sits in there all day and I don’t know what to do about it. She looks healthy, eats and drinks normally when I bring her out, and doesn’t act sick in any way. The only thing I could tell looked weird was her poop, and that she isn’t laying any eggs.

I thought it was because she was hiding from my roosters, she doesn’t like them. When I’m holding her, she shivers when she’s around them. I separated her from everyone else in her own pen, she still doesn’t want to come out. There was one time last year where the back of her head was pecked bloody and it got infected, but I doctored her up and you couldn’t tell it ever happened. Afterwards she seemed for the most part the same as she did before the injury.

I didn’t really know where to put this since I don’t know if my hen is sick or not. Thank you for all any any help.

Attachments

• 7BBD0007-1C67-4914-A16A-38C87621015C.jpeg
    7BBD0007-1C67-4914-A16A-38C87621015C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
If you put her down outside do the roosters go after her?
I have a hen that stays on top of the nesting box if she’s not laying, because every time she gets down, even at feeding times, the roosters will run through the whole flock to rape her. I tried separating her in a chick coop, but the roosters started hanging out outside the coop until she was having panic attacks.
I now feed her on top of the nesting boxes and if a rooster jumps up there she will go to a roosting bar.
Need to stop messing around and build a rooster coop to seperate the more aggressive roosters from the hens.

Back
Top Bottom