Hen won’t leave the nest after 48 hours

Sandsunsurf

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2023
I have a new mother hen, she just turned a year and has 4 new babies. All four eggs hatched, it’s been over 48 hours and she refuses to leave the nest and go out with the babies. I’ve removed and the spent egg shells and have resorted to putting food and water near by since it’s been 90 in the shade. I don’t know what to do. The other hens take their babies out 48 hours after the first baby hatches. Any suggestions to get her out and about? Or do I just continue to feed and water her in place?

She took them out. Her mothering skills are slightly concerning but hopefully she’ll get better.
I had a setting hen die on nest because she was not eating and drinking properly. Make sure yours does because some breeds will sit to death. Especially if stubborn.
I had a setting hen die on nest because she was not eating and drinking properly. Make sure yours does because some breeds will sit to death. Especially if stubborn.
Awe I’m sorry to hear that. I love her plenty of food and water within reach of her nest. She’s been taking her babies out on short trips to forage during the day.

Back
Top Bottom