Hen won’t stay in the dog crate

Itz_Kitkat

Chirping
Dec 6, 2020
Grande Prairie Alberta
We have a broody hen first time sitting on eggs we gave her 4 eggs 3 are growing its day 18 and are going to move her to a dog crate to hatch her eggs. But last night i put her in with her eggs and she panicked she had her head through the bars and wouldn’t calm down I let her out she had a drink and went to her original nesting box the eggs were cooled when I put them with her what do I do they should hatch in a few days 😕

Edit : she has food and water with a box full of straw and shavings to nest in

We have a broody hen first time sitting on eggs we gave her 4 eggs 3 are growing its day 18 and are going to move her to a dog crate to hatch her eggs. But last night i put her in with her eggs and she panicked she had her head through the bars and wouldn’t calm down I let her out she had a drink and went to her original nesting box the eggs were cooled when I put them with her what do I do they should hatch in a few days 😕

Edit : she has food and water with a box full of straw and shavings to nest in
Broodies graft to the nest site more than to the eggs. If you want to move her, she should have been moved and regrafted to the new site before giving her the eggs to hatch.
You'll need to put her back where she was so she can hatch.
If the chicks are at risk of falling out of the nest you'll have to block it off with hardware cloth or something when the eggs start hatching. Once the hatch is over, she and her brood can be moved to the coop floor where she will nest with them.
Is your coop on the ground or will she have to navigate a ramp with the chicks?
How much space does the flock have?

That's the risk in trying to move a broody hen. They may not accept the move. At least she did not break from being broody.

Don't over worry about the eggs getting cool, it doesn't sound like it was too bad. I don't consider the eggs cooling a good thing but I had a broody hen off of the nest long enough for the eggs to feel really cold. When I put her back she still hatched 11 chicks out of 11 eggs. You may not be bad off at all.

I don't know why you want to move her or what her current area looks like. A couple of photos could help. It's hard for me to give good suggestions if I don't understand what is going on, what are your concerns, or what you have to work with.

Without knowing any of that all I can suggest is eave her alone and let her hatch.

Is she sitting on them now in the original nesting box? How long was she off them?
Eggs can survive for a little bit without heat, can you candle them and see if they're still alive?
She was off them for roughly 20- 40 minutes.. I can candle them but I thought you weren’t after day 17

I watched a video on YouTube from Chicken Hues and she moved her broody after she hatched her chicks. I’m also looking to move mine from a smaller plastic crate because I’m afraid it’s too small to accommodate possibly 12 baby chicks and their momma. I have six in the incubator, one of which has already hatched, and 6 currently under her beginning to hatch. I set up a big dog crate with cardboard on the sides inside the chicken tractor she’s in. I will then put her plastic crate entrance facing the dog crate entrance which she’ll have to go through to get food and water for her and her chicks. Then I’ll take away the green plastic crate. Maybe you can try something like that? I’m a newbie to chicks hatching but I think it might work.

Attachments

• 6D5658D3-2114-42F1-837A-4F66D9C20CB1.jpeg
    6D5658D3-2114-42F1-837A-4F66D9C20CB1.jpeg
    707.8 KB · Views: 4
this late in the day I would keep her in the same nest but block it off so no other chickens can get in and no chicks can fall out. As soon as they have hatched, move her and chicks to a more suitable place. She will follow them wherever they are.

Back
Top Bottom