Hen? Won't stop crowing!! Help!

Have you ever used a crow collar? Have you seen some of the stories about their things?

Not when those hormones start raging. Can't really judge sweetness until he's gone past a certain age...

How about a nice new home, where he can be a normal cockerel?
I do know about crow collars and I have used them before several times without incident.

As for the hormones, if he was raised from that young and he is that attached to his human, even hormones shouldn't be able to break the bond. I have raised several cocks and roosters and some that I didn't spend much time with ended up being jerks. Others that I raised by hand were the sweetest things ever, even when the hormones kicked in. If he is happy where he is currently, I do not see why he needs another home, especially with how afraid he is of the outside.

As for the hormones, if he was raised from that young and he is that attached to his human, even hormones shouldn't be able to break the bond.
Shouldn't, but do.
I also have raised many cockerels - from hatch - spent all the time with them. Didn't stop them pecking me. It probably worsened it. These are cockerels.

I would rehome a cockerel every time rather than use a crow collar.
That's because I care for my cockerels. And in the same way I'd rather see someone else re-home a cockerel than stick something on their neck.

Do they lessen the sound of the crows by patting the cockerel and telling him he's a good boy every time he doesn't crow?
It restricts air. No, thank you.

I rescued a baby chick that was being rejected by what seemed to be the mother, and was in danger of getting eaten by cats. I live in a townhouse with a small yard and 4 dogs all diff sizes. She's an only chick but she gets along with the dogs! There are some days she'll get spicy and try to peck at their faces. She's pretty smart and I feel like she listens when I tell her to stop because then she'll walk around them just fine. What's really becoming an issue is crowing. I bought her a coop with a run which I've been keeping indoors in the same area as the dogs so they're next to each other but can't get to each other when I'm not around. My backyard is very small and although the plan was to fit her coop in a corner so she can be outside, we can't do so yet because we are in the process of paving the yard. What I'm realizing is that the crowing is going to be an issue for my neighbors if/when she gets moved outside. My boyfriend actually wants to keep her inside but I understand chickens need some sun and some grass to graze. I've tried letting her outside but shes terrified of the outside world and quickly runs back inside. Would it be a bad idea to keep her indoors most of the time? And I've read that being the only chick can cause them to act like roosters, but I really cant have her making all that noise so how can I stop the crowing behavior? She is currently going on 4 months of age. I have been told by several chicken lovers that shes a hen but can I have an experienced chicken lover confirm this? Any tips or advice will help! View attachment 2323648
it looks like a rooster to me but if it lays an egg that means you got a hen

Xjoss8x, I know these responses are all over the map! But it just proved that there is more than one way to raise a chicken!

My grandfather's best friend spent the blitz in London in the basement with a cockerel turning rooster and two cats. After the end of WWII, his roo was in constant demand. Because of food shortages there was a shortage of roosters, but hens laid eggs so many people only kept hens.

Birds are very adaptable. Your roo may be a mix, but he may also be a splash Leghorn. Splash in any breed is desirable. Maybe you could get stud fees!

I rescued a baby chick that was being rejected by what seemed to be the mother, and was in danger of getting eaten by cats. I live in a townhouse with a small yard and 4 dogs all diff sizes. She's an only chick but she gets along with the dogs! There are some days she'll get spicy and try to peck at their faces. She's pretty smart and I feel like she listens when I tell her to stop because then she'll walk around them just fine. What's really becoming an issue is crowing. I bought her a coop with a run which I've been keeping indoors in the same area as the dogs so they're next to each other but can't get to each other when I'm not around. My backyard is very small and although the plan was to fit her coop in a corner so she can be outside, we can't do so yet because we are in the process of paving the yard. What I'm realizing is that the crowing is going to be an issue for my neighbors if/when she gets moved outside. My boyfriend actually wants to keep her inside but I understand chickens need some sun and some grass to graze. I've tried letting her outside but shes terrified of the outside world and quickly runs back inside. Would it be a bad idea to keep her indoors most of the time? And I've read that being the only chick can cause them to act like roosters, but I really cant have her making all that noise so how can I stop the crowing behavior? She is currently going on 4 months of age. I have been told by several chicken lovers that shes a hen but can I have an experienced chicken lover confirm this? Any tips or advice will
I rescued a baby chick that was being rejected by what seemed to be the mother, and was in danger of getting eaten by cats. I live in a townhouse with a small yard and 4 dogs all diff sizes. She's an only chick but she gets along with the dogs! There are some days she'll get spicy and try to peck at their faces. She's pretty smart and I feel like she listens when I tell her to stop because then she'll walk around them just fine. What's really becoming an issue is crowing. I bought her a coop with a run which I've been keeping indoors in the same area as the dogs so they're next to each other but can't get to each other when I'm not around. My backyard is very small and although the plan was to fit her coop in a corner so she can be outside, we can't do so yet because we are in the process of paving the yard. What I'm realizing is that the crowing is going to be an issue for my neighbors if/when she gets moved outside. My boyfriend actually wants to keep her inside but I understand chickens need some sun and some grass to graze. I've tried letting her outside but shes terrified of the outside world and quickly runs back inside. Would it be a bad idea to keep her indoors most of the time? And I've read that being the only chick can cause them to act like roosters, but I really cant have her making all that noise so how can I stop the crowing behavior? She is currently going on 4 months of age. I have been told by several chicken lovers that shes a hen but can I have an experienced chicken lover confirm this? Any tips or advice will help! View attachment 2323648
We have a Polish Laying Hen. Her name is Phyllis Diller. Phyllis is a little over a year old and lays 3 to 6 eggs a week. She lives with 4 Brahma Layers.

An interesting habit she started around 3 or 4 months ago is "crowing." She usually "crows" in late morning to early afternoon. I think she does it to get attention...it works.
Now one of the Brahmas is starting to crow, as well.
As long as they keep laying, we don't really mind. And they are not as loud and annoying as a rooster.
Anyway, hens that crow...who would have thunk it.

Yeah, he’s a rooster. I have a lone rooster who is a house chicken, his flock consists of my 2 cats, and he wears a chicken diaper, gets some supervised outside time daily and is a happy joyful boy! It can be done!

Attachments

• 0C68B862-9E84-4A19-AEA0-837955E7C876.jpeg
    0C68B862-9E84-4A19-AEA0-837955E7C876.jpeg
    638.2 KB · Views: 11
In response to Online Jack's post:
I have a hen who sings in the morning. I would never have noticed it, but a tree fell on one of my chicken houses, and I brought in the four of them to stay in the living room for a few days until we could cut down the tree, remove the branches, and rebuild the coop.

Her song wasn't quite like crowing. There was a lot of repetition, sort of a refrain, in parts. When she sang, the two roos, one her son the other her husband, paused their crowing and seemed to listen. Then she would pause, and they would resume crowing. The other hen (not related) never sang anything in the morning, that I heard. But she did seem to listen to all of them.

It was just beautiful! When we had the coop repaired and moved them out, I put a chair nearby, and went out quite a few mornings to listen at dawn.

After her roo passed on, she stopped singing for a while. She has not accepted another roo, and she stopped laying last year. I moved her to the barn near her son and two of her granddaughters, and she sings with one of the granddaughters in the morning. I don't know if it's genetic, or learned, or both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom