Hen? Won't stop crowing!! Help!

Pics

Xjoss8x

Hatching
Sep 7, 2020
I rescued a baby chick that was being rejected by what seemed to be the mother, and was in danger of getting eaten by cats. I live in a townhouse with a small yard and 4 dogs all diff sizes. She's an only chick but she gets along with the dogs! There are some days she'll get spicy and try to peck at their faces. She's pretty smart and I feel like she listens when I tell her to stop because then she'll walk around them just fine. What's really becoming an issue is crowing. I bought her a coop with a run which I've been keeping indoors in the same area as the dogs so they're next to each other but can't get to each other when I'm not around. My backyard is very small and although the plan was to fit her coop in a corner so she can be outside, we can't do so yet because we are in the process of paving the yard. What I'm realizing is that the crowing is going to be an issue for my neighbors if/when she gets moved outside. My boyfriend actually wants to keep her inside but I understand chickens need some sun and some grass to graze. I've tried letting her outside but shes terrified of the outside world and quickly runs back inside. Would it be a bad idea to keep her indoors most of the time? And I've read that being the only chick can cause them to act like roosters, but I really cant have her making all that noise so how can I stop the crowing behavior? She is currently going on 4 months of age. I have been told by several chicken lovers that shes a hen but can I have an experienced chicken lover confirm this? Any tips or advice will help!
20200827_232625.jpg

Yep. I agree with all the previous posts.

That is a male chicken. NOT a hen. Thus the crowing.

And, yes. Chickens are social animals who are intended to be raised with a flock. Not solitary. I would suggest that you see about getting a few more chickens. Preferably hens that are close to the same age as your rooster and going through the process of introducing them (as you’ll find good info on this site on how to do that). Your chicken will thrive in such a setting.

If you cannot provide an area to have a few more chickens as previously mentioned, you may want to consider finding a new home for your rooster, one that has a flock he can integrate with and be happy.

Good luck.

Thank you everyone for all your helpful responses! I am very attached to him at this point but unfortunately I cannot add more chickens at this time. I love chickens and have always wanted to keep a flock but my yard is definitely not big enough and i want him to be happy. It hurts me to say but I may have to start thinking about re-homing him :'(

Back
Top Bottom