Hen wont walk on her feet. Walks on her hocks and feet may be paralyzed?

I have no idea, but I would think its probably pretty variable amongst flocks. If the chicken gets better then you'll know that it's alright and that wasn't the issue...as long as it gets better and stays better. The one that started the limping saga would sometimes seem like e was getting better, he'd go back to just limping, but he wasn't actually better...
Chickens are easy to break bones as such though, so it really might just be an injury.

Is she eating well? Try giving her a vitamin supplement... And just keep watching. Make sure she's eating, drinking, and comfortable and wait it out if that's what you want to do

She's eating, drinking and acting very healthy... she even likes to get out and wander around the house, scuttling around on her hocks.

I gave her a hardboiled egg to eat and she seemed to appreciate that.

We're going through the same thing here. She was much better, then I let her out and I don't know if she hurt herself again (I turned my back for a few minutes), but within that time she was on her hocks again and sometimes sprawled to the side. Stressing me out for sure. She's too stressed to be left alone and she has somewhat quiet ones for company, but she still gets trampled. She likes a spot by the door and that's where the other 2 run to when they see me. Like yours, she eats, drinks and moves around, but very wobbly. Wish they could talk. Had an awful dream last night that I bought a huge bag of "farm" cat food and when I opened it, there were a lot of baby chicks in it and a very small pot-bellied pig or javelina that had the same hock problem. Jeez, I'm taking it to bed with me!

Hm
We're going through the same thing here. She was much better, then I let her out and I don't know if she hurt herself again (I turned my back for a few minutes), but within that time she was on her hocks again and sometimes sprawled to the side. Stressing me out for sure. She's too stressed to be left alone and she has somewhat quiet ones for company, but she still gets trampled. She likes a spot by the door and that's where the other 2 run to when they see me. Like yours, she eats, drinks and moves around, but very wobbly. Wish they could talk. Had an awful dream last night that I bought a huge bag of "farm" cat food and when I opened it, there were a lot of baby chicks in it and a very small pot-bellied pig or javelina that had the same hock problem. Jeez, I'm taking it to bed with me!

Sounds like bagged cat food any cat would love.

They can go on for a while like that. But most eventually waste away, like starving while eating. Or may go blind, or lose control of something else like wings or neck.

I did have 1 and only 1 who became paralyzed, and after 6 weeks, we made her practice walking and now she lays eggs and it's been almost a year.

So it's individual. And they look happy the whole time.

Mine were still growing and at a healthy weight, but I was literally taking the one that couldn't move to the feeder and waterer several times a day. She could get there but she would accomplish it with the most pitiful flop and roll maneuver that was just breaking my heart...the other guy was fine to do what he needed until the day his head was stuck by his breast facing upwards...he still had such light in his eyes, but there was no way to fix him. I hate culling a chicken for sickness. Heart breaking. We process some, but it's different when you are going to eat them

So far my hen's still being fine and eating/drinking on her own. She may be putting on some extra weight! I've been feeding her hardboiled eggs, scratch, and chick starter.

Back
Top Bottom