hen wounded, can't get rid of the maggots

Quote:
I was going to say that exact thing. Complete body infestation is bad, but I'm going with local infestation of the wound isn't a big issue. Gross yes, but they eat necrotic tissue, so....

Also, you can go to any drug store and buy self adhesive ace bandages, just like vet wrap but no pretty colors. I don't know if there is a price difference, but I know they carry it, in fact my dog has some on right now.

The BYC community is amazing! Thank you all so much for your support and concern.

Sammi update: She's huddled in her cage and shivering (it's not at all chilly in the room she's in, not a/c'd and by the oft running dryer) , hasn't moved around much during the night, judging from the poo accumulated on her bottom feathers. She is still eating and drinking. I think it's time for antibiotics. I didn't mean to put it off, but I've never given a shot to anyone or thing before and I kept hoping it wouldn't be necessary. I know, I shouldn't have postponed, she'd probably being doing pretty good by today, I'm just so squeamish...

So, I've located the place to get penicillin and syringes, I've read and reread info posted earlier on how to do it. I've tried finding someone less squeamish to come and do it, but to no avail (so far). I'm steeling myself up to just do it. Pray I don't kill her and that I get it in to properly dose her.

Here is my plan (advice and correction welcomed):

Clean her up a bit gently.
Weigh her.
Get meds.
Figure out correct dose.
Per Tiki244's instructions "Give her the shot in her breast muscle. Find her keel and then go 1/2 -1 inch either side, put the needle in the muscle and then pull it out a tad. Extract the plunger a bit and if there is blood, try again. If there is no blood, give her the shot."

Two questions: what's a keel and is she to be upside down in my arm or right side up to access her breast most easily? (a video on utube showed a chicken upright)

I'll be around for the next 15 min -1/2 hour before going to get meds and I'll check for any input.

Thanks!

Quote:
I was going to say that exact thing. Complete body infestation is bad, but I'm going with local infestation of the wound isn't a big issue. Gross yes, but they eat necrotic tissue, so....

Also, you can go to any drug store and buy self adhesive ace bandages, just like vet wrap but no pretty colors. I don't know if there is a price difference, but I know they carry it, in fact my dog has some on right now.

I also have to say that maggots are not bad when it comes to a wound! I even saw a show on discovery channel where, in England, they actually put maggots on a person's leg that was badly wounded, and it really helped the man recover! They do eat only the dead tissue, and it helps clean the wound and it didn't hurt the man either.

Hello!

You can give her antibiotics in her drinking water that will help, so you don't have to give her a shot. Tylan is great, and you can mix some up with water and give it to her with a dropper.

That's alot easier in my humble opinion.....

Thanks chicmom. From all I've read so far, it seems to me that Sammi should get injected antibiotics since it's a wound, not an illness.

Here is info I found here at BYC. I copied and pasted to paper so I can make sure I get the right stuff and do it correctly. Lot's of info, but seems to be thorough. Here's a link to the article in case anyone would like it in full. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=352701

ANTIBIOTICS:
Many
wounds do not require additional antibiotics other than topical (on the skin) antibiotic dressings. However in the case of animal bites that weren't caught immediately, cat bites, and wounds that have been sitting or are particularly deep, it may be a good idea to treat with antibiotics. (For cat wounds, you *must* include penicillin as one of the antibiotics and from day one with any catbite wound – even if your veterinarian prescribes Baytril.) If you make this decision, please be sure to get one that is appropriate for wounds. The packages at the feedstore are not and will only cause more problems if used for a purpose for which they’re not intended.
Penicillin G Procaine (Aqueous Pen-G) is commonly found at many feedstores in their fridge section. It's awesome to keep in your own fridge for a rainy day. It's a very thick antibiotic and requires a thicker gauge needle. I would use no thinner than a 22 gauge, preferably something more thick at a length of .75 to 1 inch. At many feedstores, you can buy 3 cc syringes that are together already with needles. These are nice to have on hand as well as that 30 cc syringe that you'll use to flush wounds.
Instructions on how to give an injection are available separately as well as how to treat with antibiotics. If you do choose to use injectable antibiotics, be prepared to go the entire recommended course. Penicillin G Procaine is a concentrated penicillin (they're not all created equally) and only is required to be given every other day. Based on the type of antibiotic you expect to use, buy that many syringes plus two.

USING PENICILLIN G PROCAINE FOR POULTRY – by Nathalie Ross
Sometimes when faced with injured chickens or waterfowls we feel it is necessary to treat with antibiotics to either stop an infection, or prevent one from happening.
People often turn to their local feed store for packaged antibiotics, believing that they are appropriate for nearly all occasions. Unfortunately, these antibiotics in the water actually aren't the ones that work for infected 'wounds'. They are intended for respiratory illnesses and enteritis. The antibiotics that are appropriate for wounds are of the penicillin range, or penicillin related medicines. (Penicillin, Penicillin G Procaine, amoxicillin, etc). With the exception of amoxicillin, these drugs are most often (and most effectively) given by injection. This is particularly true of the penicillin drugs as they are very rough on the beneficial flora of the bird’s digestive tract if given orally.
Penicillin injection medicines are readily available at most feed stores; they are kept and stored in the refrigerator and should be at home as well. One of my preferred drugs for wound use, and commonly found in most stores, is Penicillin G Procaine (300,000 IU).
Penicillin is a mixture of drug particles (solids) in liquid (solution). The particles in the solution are quite large, the drug is quite thick (particularly when stored correctly in the refrigerator) so you need a larger needle to get the correct mixture of particles in solution for an injection.
Most feed stores carry 3 cc syringes pre-equipped with screw-on needles that are 25 gauge (smaller). Of course, to keep the syringe sterile, leave the needle on. The same feedstores often carry loose 18 gauge sterile needles. Buy one for each syringe. Just before you plan to pull the penicillin from the vial for the shot, remove the syringe from its packaging and unscrew the smaller needle, screw on the larger needle with its cap still on. Make sure it is screwed tightly.
Pulling the medicine: penicillin particles settle during storage. Shake the penicillin vial until the solids on the bottom are all mixed into the liquid. Uncap the syringe, and pull the plunger out 1/4cc. Push the needle into the rubber top of the vial and press the plunger to let the air into the vial. Then pull your dosage. Pull out the syringe, turn the needle up, and thump with your finger to dislodge any air bubbles from the syringe to the top of the syringe. Push the plunger gently to push out the air. Re-cap the needle; letting that syringe just come to nearly room temperature. Replace the vial into the refrigerator as soon as the injection is ‘pulled’.

Penicillin is given in the muscle (“IM” aka intramuscularly). On poultry/waterfowl, the best place to give the shot is either in the breast meat or in the thigh. I prefer in the breast meat as there is a great deal of meat, little bone, and few blood vessels.
Clean a spot far from the bone, in the middle of one half of the breast, with a tiny bit of alcohol on a bit of tissue. Uncap the syringe and put the needle into the skin – not terribly far. Less than ¼ inch for sure. Pull its plunger first and look for blood. This is to make sure the needle is not in a blood vessel. If you see blood, withdraw the needle and move the injection sight. Repeat. If you don't see blood, push the plunger in and then remove the syringe from the bird.

Pen G procaine is given daily for no more than four days. The dosage for poultry or waterfowl (under 10 pounds) is listed as less than 1/4 cc if the Penicillin G Procaine is 300,000 I.U. (which is most often is) for animals from 1-10 kg (each kg = 2 pounds, so 1-20 pounds). The dosage is actually listed as 1ml (cc) per 100 pounds of body weight, but giving 1/10th of a cc would be troublesome and it has a high safety margin.

Penicillin has worked well for me but I think Tylan may also work.

For Penicillin; The Keel is the breast bone. Keep her right side up and she will struggle when you give the shot so be prepared. It is .5 cc 1 X day for 5 days.

For Tylan50: Also found at farm store and is also reasonably priced. Is also in bottle but not refrigerated. Also extract .5 cc and give orally with the syringe. Just place a bit on or under her tongue and let her assimilate it. Probably can be given in 3-4 parts at one time so she doesnt gag on it. Thats .5 cc once just dont plunge the whole thing in her mouth at one time as she might choke. I need to find a reference as to how many days to give to her and how many times a day.

****ALSO, feed her some scrambled eggs daily with some vitamins and electrolytes and probiotics in them. Merrks Blue Ribbon at the farm store is a complete package of these and is under two dollars. After the scrambled eggs have cooled just sprinkle a little of the powder on top of the eggs.*****

I am so sorry to hear that she is not doing well.
sad.png

Well I guess that clears up the Tylan issue. We were typing at the same time
smile.png

Dont forget the probiotics and scrambled eggs. The probiotics can wait a day or two but should be there very soon.

Last edited:
Thank you tiki244 I'll pick up the probiotics at the same time as the meds. I feel a little odd about giving her eggs:/ reminds me of an Old Far Side catroon of a chicken needing eggs for a recipe and looking at her nest...
big_smile.png

I'm off to the feed store with my print out. Wish me success!

Quote:
lol.png
Funny yes scrambled eggs are very important to her. A complete meal with everything she needs. Good luck at the store and I sure hope she gets better. I was very distressed to here of her down turn.

Back
Top Bottom