Henhouse, 99% done (lots of pics!)

I haven't submitted the coop to the site yet because it is still lacking a few crucial things; the anti-hawk netting from Ebay, that last silly hinge that I am missing, a name for the coop, and we are planning on cutting up an old wool army blanket to sort of weatherstrip the vent covers. I am very concerned about winter wind and drafts- the valley I live in is locally notorious for its extreme winter gusts of wind.

As for the corrugated tin, well, yes, it will get hot in summer. Summer nights here are very cool though, and I did put the chickenport on the west wall to shade the coop in the afternoon. If it becomes a problem I might slip a piece of foamcore insulation in and tack it to the roof. The real test will come in August when it is often 90 degrees here until about 10pm when the sun sets. The temperature often plummets right after sunset (so a ten p.m. at 90 degrees turns into a midnight of 60 degrees and a six a.m. of 50 degrees) and I'll report back on how this goes when I get to it!

As for the run vs coop question... In my case, with a tiny backyard and limited space options, the coop in the run made sense. It did make fencing it a bit complex, granted. I would say from a functional standpoint it would have been smarter to put the henhouse outside the run and just fence up to the pophole. But that wasn't really an option for us, so I did it this way instead. Doing it my way increased the run size by about 40 sq ft because of the way that our property is shaped.

Aran- My husband was born in Rochester NY- even though we live in Montana, we are actually both from NY.

The chicken master bathroom will be installed once I get the coop-equity loan.
smile.png

I think I'll get the coop ready and submitted by next week. The netting has been shipped from Seattle and this weekend I'd like to finish the whole thing up. Any name suggestions for our coop?

-MTchick

Back
Top Bottom