Henrietta Red with Black Folded over comb

LoriBurke

Chirping
Apr 5, 2020
Months ago we inherited 6 chickens. 3 had lost some feathers and just didn’t look right. They were not well taken care of. Egg production has been spotty at best. Now, 5 appear to be bouncing back nicely although I still don’t have a lot of eggs. But this one poor girl. I don’t know what to do any more. She is not lethargic and is eating and drinking. I noticed a new black spot on the side of her beak the other day and a couple of days later her comb looked a little off color. This morning, her comb is laying over and is turning black (pictures attached). What you can’t see in these pictures is that she has lost many feathers on her neck. It looked like they were starting to come back, but while the others have gotten their feathers back, she has not.
I have given Durastat, Apple Cider Vinegar, electrolytes, vitamins/minerals, edible DE and feed a quality feed from TSC. I give fresh water daily and clean their coop daily. As you can see in the pics, my other girls look good. Do you think this one will finally start to bounce back?
There are no vets here that deal with chickens.
8853109F-212B-43C4-881B-CE1ECA1D5FFD.jpeg
3BF2380D-3320-4BDD-831B-8D14A3D25363.jpeg
AB70AD29-BEC0-4B4F-BFFD-69251A80B736.jpeg
D009FDFB-8000-4882-9600-5B7B77E46C70.jpeg
E43DE5C9-E855-4E8E-BFE0-450152140B7E.jpeg

A close up of what's on the side of the beak? Could it be just dirt?

She's got broken feathers along her neck, those won't be replaced until she molts.

The comb flopping over, she may be starting to molt. Could be she is having some reproductive issues which can be common in laying hens.

She's not lethargic. She's eating/drinking, looks like she's relatively active in the photos.
I would leave her be and just enjoy her. Fresh food, fresh water and a few treats sprinkled in.

She's got broken feathers along her neck, those won't be replaced until she molts.

The comb flopping over, she may be starting to molt. Could be she is having some reproductive issues which can be common in laying hens.

She's not lethargic. She's eating/drinking, looks like she's relatively active in the photos.
I would leave her be and just enjoy her. Fresh food, fresh water and a few treats sprinkled in.
Thank you. I didn’t know that about the feathers. I hope she is just starting to molt.
When we got home from church I noticed she is gasping.

Oh, and the black on her beak is not dirt

Back
Top Bottom