Hens Always Kill Chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leecey411, Oct 19, 2009.

1. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    I am ashamed of my hens, they kill their chicks! I have moved the sitting hens into their own run, I thought the other chickens were guilty but no they still kill their own chicks. What should I do?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Move every hen into a separate run. They need to be by themselves.

3. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I had a broody smother her 4 chicks just a week or so ago [​IMG] I think some hens just don't get it.

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Wow, that's terrible! I agree that you should move each hen into her own space. At the very least, you would discover which hen is responsible, and never give her eggs to hatch again.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It sounds like the OP did move their hen to their own space. If this is the hen's first time brooding, she may have been confused. On a second try she does the same, she is a bad mom and should not be used for rearing chicks. Put a legband on her and don't let her sit.

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:It sounds like multiple hens together to me. NOT a good idea.

7. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    Thank you everyone, I will take away any eggs until they each have their own spot. I am building them a little barn. Is a nest box considered enough space ? what kind of room do they need?

8. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    a nest box wouldn't be big enough to brood a clutch. You would need a big brooder or a portable little pen, just for them.
    After reading your story, I feel less guilty about using broody hens as incubators for more than one go round....snatching them away just a day or 2 before hatching and starting her all over, with the first in the incubator.
    I keep clutches separated, not because of the danger to the chicks from their moms, but due to the dangers of preditors and because I don't always want to check if another hen laid an egg with her clutch, so her being in seclusion, helps me. Now I wonder if it may have an added advantage of mom not killing the babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by