Hens and children sharing wood play structure? Issues?

Dbennett

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 24, 2012
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Our children have a wood play structure; slide, climbing wall, swings, fort, etc.

We have decided that the perfect place for the new coop would be the underneath area that the children never use. The area is 7 x 3, space for an enclosed area and a run attached, paver access from the house, some overhead shade provided from play structure.

Anyway, modifying the lower area could look really cool ....in my mind at least.

Question: Is there any concern with the children playing on the other parts of the structure with part of it being the coop? I'm not worried about injury to the birds. I'm worried about things like flies, fleas, mites, smell, etc.

What is the feedback from you all? Go for it? Or, WOMAN, you're out of your mind!?

Don't delay, respond TODAY. I need to start construction of a coop in the next week or so.

http://reviews.costco.com/2070/1125...sunray-premium-playground-reviews/reviews.htm

Well, it's snowing to beat the band here right now - happy spring! And, it's dark outside. So, here's a link to the website that shows our playset.

The hens would occupy the entire lower area. The picnic table area, and the sand box area. As I mentioned it is 7 feet by 3 feet 10 inches actually.

The plan currently is to set the run up out the Side next to the "kid ladder" . There is a foot space there (between the post and ladder) that could be the pop door. The plan for the run isn't on paper yet but off the cuff, I would say there is room for it to be 3 by 9 feet maybe - before the yard starts down an incline. We also plan to use a tractor when the weather gets nicer.

Is that helpful to see my vision?

Looks good to me. Now if you weirded out about to poo. Ya might want to rethink. Personally I don't see a problem.

As long as you keep up with the regular cleaning i don't see a problem either. (Now to keep my kids from trying to talk me into something like this too lol)
smile.png

I abandoned the idea of converting the play structure. Instead we built a freestanding coop and run. As I look at it now, I am not sure they would have had enough room with the original idea. My birds got pretty big.

Back
Top Bottom