Hens and Roo digging large holes

dianehodges

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 10, 2010
In December I purchased 3 hens and a rooster, all dominickers. The hens are laying almost daily but I have noticed they are digging holes and laying them. Sometimes they fluff around in the dirt. I have them in a pen but they access to the outdoors also. I clean the pen at least twice a week and put pine shavings on the floor. Should I clean the pen less and is this normal behavior?

They are giving themselves dirtbaths. They love to do this. Mine normally due it in their run but if it is raining outside I find them doing it in their coop. I think it helps them keep clean. Might be wrong on last part.And
welcome-byc.gif
from Ga

Last edited:
Dust bathing does help with parasite control. Even chicks will "dust bathe" in the shavings in their brooder.

My front yard looks like a moonscape, with chicken fox holes where they have dug their dust bath spas. They will do it in the coop, too, especially if the weather outside is wet.

In my large run I have put in a const. sand box in the corner - looks much like a child's sand box. Not fancey just 2x4's nailed together. Perfect for dust bathing. It discourages holes all over too. Maybe you can try it.

Ours make dust baths too, but they also like to dig for worms and other bugs. They are also very happy when I rake their yard and cover up the holes they've dug -- just more for them to do and new things to find! They really seem to like to be busy.

Mine prefer to use any semi-bare spot for their dust baths
he.gif
I'm constantly filling holes throughout the yard where the grass was just a little thin & the silly things decided it was perfect for a bath. I've started using large tree branches over the holes to discourage them, plus they've got a hole by the house they can use, along with in their run. Last time I thoroughly cleaned their house out, they were all having great fun diggin in the newly-uncovered dirt & taking baths
gig.gif
They were'nt very happy when I kicked them out & covered it back up with straw
smile.png

Perfectly normal for the chickens to be digging holes. Just wait 'till warm weather! They will have little basins dug al;l over your yard and gardens. Mine love to dig nice holes, then dirt bathe, then take a nap in the sun Especially if we are sitting or working outside.

Back
Top Bottom