Hens and Roosters together?

olayak

Songster
7 Years
Jul 26, 2012
New York
We have Cornish Cross chickens.
Somehow we ended up with three Roos and three hens. They are all 9 weeks old and all live happily together. I know this is thet meat birds forum but please note, these are PETS and will not be killed. So, can they continue living peacefully? Or will I have to separate out the roos? (Nobody is being rehomed, they just may have to have their housing reorganized).
Thanks

Instead of telling you that you have to do that or have to do that, my suggestion is to watch and base your reactions on what you see. I'd have a Plan B ready which would include a separate facility you can house two or three of the males on short order if you need to.

Yes that was the plan! So far, tho, everyone is getting along great! (Maybe because they all grew up together and they are a docile breed?) Fingers crossed that it stays that way!
Thanks!

Nobody is going anywhere and these are pets so nobody will be culled. It will just be a simple alteration in their housing! No problem. :)

Hmm, you'll have to wait and see.
Hopefully they stay like this, but I've known many people with friendly roosters and hens living like this:
upload_2018-11-12_14-5-36.png

But after the hormones kick in it turns up like this:

Yeah, some roosters can turn out pretty evil.
Best wishes, though! I'm not saying you should get your hopes up to low... just beware!

i have a quite few part cx... the cockerels are rather mild mannered and will establish a pecking order and so long as they have room.. they get out of they way of the dominate.. the problem is the pullets , they get over mated and can get gashes on their sides through to their body cavity. Usually need at least 6 girls per boy.

i have a quite few part cx... the cockerels are rather mild mannered and will establish a pecking order and so long as they have room.. they get out of they way of the dominate.. the problem is the pullets , they get over mated and can get gashes on their sides through to their body cavity. Usually need at least 6 girls per boy.
That's what I thought! I may have to move the pullets to alternate housing. Unfortunately they are very overweight from their previous caretaker (who thought they were being nice by free feeding cornish cross)! So we'll have to see if they even live very long. So far only one cockerel is crowing and the other three are still acting like big babies. None are interested in the pullets yet. And my cockerels all super sweet! Love them tons!

They also have tons of room in a large run. They're extremely spoiled :)

If needed, we will definitely keep the pullets but move them to alternate housing so they aren't bothered by those silly boys! And i would never give up my boys! They're the best!

Have a plan B in mind. It is possible that the cockerels may die prior to starting to mate - just the nature of the beast. They are prone to leg problems and heart attacks. If they start breeding they may injure the pullets as @Molpet has suggested. They are large and very clumsy and can cause serious injury to the pullets.

Back
Top Bottom