1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens and Tom's

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Cold Canadian, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    I know this has more then likly been asked before .........but does a hen strut ? I have four bronze birds and they are about four to five months old and two of them are toms , no guessing there ,one is a hen , again no guess work required there , but one of them ? it looks like a hen in the face , but it fans it's tail and although I can't remember if I have heard it gobble as I have the other two .Do hens ever fan there tails like a tom ?

2. Hideaway Haven

Hideaway Haven Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Southwest Ohio
    Hi my female turkeys do fan their tails but it more flat and not up like the toms.
    Hope that helps.[​IMG]

3. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Hens will often strut but they should not gobble. If they are bronzes, the hens should have white edges on their breast feathers, while toms do not. Toms should also be much larger than the hens by now. Bigger thicker feet on the toms, too. Hens snoods won't elongate and droop like the tom's, even when they are displaying.

But then again, sometimes they just are darn hard to tell. I've had trouble with Bourbon Reds before, and they have different colored feathers too.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have a blue slate hen, and a royal palm tom. Anyhow, my hen NEVER displayed like a male. NEVER! Until...I bought a trio of Buckeyes home. I was in the process of getting their quarentine area ready, and they were still in the crate. She was apparently upset by that, and she just strutted and displayed for a good minute or two! I was shocked! She looked real pretty too.

The hens will display, especially if there is no male...It's like one of them will say "There's no tom here, so I'm the boss!"

5. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    The two that I know are toms have the longer snoods , but on two of them , one being a hen for sure , the snood isn;t anywhere as long as on the two toms ? Maybe I got lucky and managed to get two of each ?

6. fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    My 2 female Narragansetts do display their feathers like the males. In fact, when my husband or son comes around them, they puff up and display to them. They are about 6 1/2 months old and started laying eggs a few weeks ago. Here's a photo of one of them doing it.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by