Hens are all using one nest box

I would make the 2 nest boxes where the hens don’t lay, more comfy and with a fake egg. And the favourite without bedding and no fake egg. Two nesting boxes is enough for 7 chickens. This will change their habits. But be aware that they might choose another spot (like a dark corner in the coop or run, a flower pot ...).

And I would give them oyster shell 🦪 and crumbled egg shells on the side. It might be that if the egg shells are a bit harder the problem with eggs breaking is over too.

place fake eggs or golf ball in the vacant ones so they know where to lay their eggs. It might intimidate them to see other chickens lay eggs inonly one of the nest boxes
Fake eggs work.. the more the merrier.
Do you have fakes in all the nests to make them more appealing? How well padded/bedded are the nests? More padding could help a bit if they're jostling around in there.
Once had a dozen nest boxes.. They used the same 'one'.. Removed half of them as they weren't using them to make more floor space.. They now basically use two.. added all fake eggs to those two, but some eggs get mashed.

Mine not only fight over the nest boxes in their own coops, they can't wait for me to open the coops so they can free-range their way over to someone else's nest box. Of the 5 identical boxes in the red coop (which include padding and fake eggs), only 2 are desirable, apparently.

Better odds in the white coop, where both boxes are fine, but not really set up for two hens at a time. Which doesn't stop them from trying to wedge themselves in simultaneously.

In both cases, the hen or hens who don't get to the nesting boxes (and the 3 remaining chicken coops all have boxes, too) must stand in front of their laying friends and SCREAM until they get their way.

This weekend, Bronwyn not only yelled at her sister until she could take the box, she threw Beatrix's egg out of the box ASAP. Fortunately, no egg was broken during this action.

Then, there are the runner ducks. If they've already been released for the day, it's likely I'll find eggs just lying on the ground in random places. Yesterday, I had to rescue one from Golly, an American Buff goose, who just stopped laying for the season and seemed to want to "adopt" the duck egg.

Fake eggs work.. the more the merrier.

Once had a dozen nest boxes.. They used the same 'one'.. Removed half of them as they weren't using them to make more floor space.. They now basically use two.. added all fake eggs to those two, but some eggs get mashed.
Depending on the breed, the more the merrier is NOT a good advice. Some hens of certain breeds will immediately go broody if there are > 4 eggs 24/7 in a nestbox.
Its quit a nuisance to un-broody a wannabe broody.

Do you have fakes in all the nests to make them more appealing? How well padded/bedded are the nests? More padding could help a bit if they're jostling around in there.
Actually, this is a hilarious development. I removed the favorite box and replaced it with the other box. In the morning I find one undamaged egg on the coop floor. Ok. So I put the favorite box back in the coop, along with the newer box.
Screaming all morning. My girls love to argue. I check on them periodically and they are fine. They are exploring both boxes for fit, I guess...
An hour or so later it quiet. Nice. I check for eggs. Unbelievable. Three eggs in the not favorite nest box, no eggs at all in "favorite" box.
Chicken logic is lost on me.

Mine not only fight over the nest boxes in their own coops, they can't wait for me to open the coops so they can free-range their way over to someone else's nest box. Of the 5 identical boxes in the red coop (which include padding and fake eggs), only 2 are desirable, apparently.

Better odds in the white coop, where both boxes are fine, but not really set up for two hens at a time. Which doesn't stop them from trying to wedge themselves in simultaneously.

In both cases, the hen or hens who don't get to the nesting boxes (and the 3 remaining chicken coops all have boxes, too) must stand in front of their laying friends and SCREAM until they get their way.

This weekend, Bronwyn not only yelled at her sister until she could take the box, she threw Beatrix's egg out of the box ASAP. Fortunately, no egg was broken during this action.

Then, there are the runner ducks. If they've already been released for the day, it's likely I'll find eggs just lying on the ground in random places. Yesterday, I had to rescue one from Golly, an American Buff goose, who just stopped laying for the season and seemed to want to "adopt" the duck egg.
Sounds like my girls, including the screaming. What breeds are your Chickens?
And to think I didn't want a rooster because I thought he would be too loud...

Back
Top Bottom