Hens are eating the chick grower and now producing strange eggs. What do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kjimenez, Jul 11, 2016.

1. kjimenez

kjimenez Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    So I had baby chicks that hatched about seven weeks ago. I decided this time I would let the mama integrate the babies into the flock so I put everyone in together about a week ago. She is done a great job and everyone is getting along, but the problem is my hens are eating the chick starter instead of their own food. This is a photo of the latest egg I got. How do I keep everybody eating what they need to eat and keep getting along?[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    When you switch hens to grower feed you need to provide a large particle calcium supplement like oyster shell in a separate container. Have you done that?

How are you keeping the chicks from eating layer feed?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Ditto

4. kjimenez

Sep 6, 2012
    No I have layer feed for my hens and chick starter for the babies. I have not seen the babies eating layer feed but they maybe. It's hanging on a change kind of high for them.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I guess the question is do your hen's have access to the starter food? As chickencanoe suggests, grower feed and optional oyster shell is a good way to meet the needs of a mixed flock.

Ct

6. kjimenez

Sep 6, 2012
    Yes currently the hens have access to the starter. I can close the gate again and keep everyone separate and then worry about reintroducing everyone later. Or I can keep everyone out and change the feed. Will it hurt the babies to eat the layer food? Or do I just put out oysters? I'm very confused.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It will definitely hurt chicks if they consume too much layer. It will overwhelm their kidneys.

8. joshuats99

joshuats99 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    Yes, layer feed can be bad for the chicks. It's extremely high in calcium and other minerals and vitamins for their tiny little bodies. Just give everyone grower feed and the optional oyster shell supplement. Good luck!

9. kjimenez

Sep 6, 2012
    I have my run sectioned off where I can close the door and keep chickens on either side. Or I can open it up and they have the whole run. [​IMG][/IMG]

10. kjimenez

Sep 6, 2012
    So then I should separate the babies back over to their own side until they get older?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by