HENS ARE FIGHTING!!

Candacestlouis

Songster
Jan 1, 2021
Aberdeen, WA
Hello! I have three polish hens. One of them was attacked by a hawk and was separated from the other two for three weeks. Now that she is healthy again I put her in a fenced off area of the run to start integrating her back in. Well since I have done that, the other two hens are now fighting each other. Actually one of them is violently attacking the other while the other runs for her life. She hasn’t drawn blood but I feel so bad for her. Why is this happening and what should I do?!

Move everything around in the coop and run after removing all of the chickens. Add the least aggressive hen first(the one the other two were attacking. Now put the other two in separate pens side by side where they can see her .Keep both caged for 3 days and after that try releasing the one thats calmest of the two.If she doesn't attack the docile hen leave her there .After 3 days try to release the other hen.If she attacks either hen immediately upon release put her back up for a week.

Move everything around in the coop and run after removing all of the chickens. Add the least aggressive hen first(the one the other two were attacking. Now put the other two in separate pens side by side where they can see her .Keep both caged for 3 days and after that try releasing the one thats calmest of the two.If she doesn't attack the docile hen leave her there .After 3 days try to release the other hen.If she attacks either hen immediately upon release put her back up for a week.
Okay I think I’ll try this. I also feel bad confining them to small spaces when they are used to being able to move around in a large area and also free range a little throughout the day. Should I stop all free ranging while doing this?

There has to be junk in the coop/run to break up eye sight. can't see each other, can't start nothing. Be the rooster, get in there and pin the bully to the ground and read her the riot act. My girls know that i am giver of grain, taker of eggs, slayer of coons and gate keep of the realm. They know i mean it.
Love this! I will absolutely take your advise. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom