hens are laying eggs finally

Sunshine Chick 1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Longwood, Florida
Our hens have laid 4 eggs in 6 days so they are getting busy. 19 weeks old and 14 of them. This has been a long wait for us. My question is they are laying in the run or one corner of the coop. Not in the nesting boxes. I read on here to put plastic eggs in the nesing boxes so they knew that is where to lay them, but they just push them out. How do I get them to lay in the nesting boxes? Thanks

Try using their own eggs. When they lay them outside of the nest box, just place the egg into a nest so that the next one might get the idea. Also, make sure that the nest boxes are in a dim lit and quiet area. Chickens like a bit of privacy when they lay.

Mine laid their first eggs yesterday, in a corner of the coop. They wouldn't leave the hay in the nest box. So today I put a different kind in, with deeper sides, and put golf balls in. They are looking them over carefully. The golf balls seemed to help with last year's bunch.

We shall see. And good luck.

Where they are laying mostly is in the corner of the back of the coop. Yes, she did move the hay and lay on the bare floor. I will try the golf ball idea and see if it works, because the plastic eggs did not. They just pushed them onto the floor.
Thanks and God Bless

Back
Top Bottom