hens are not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by manda2015, Nov 8, 2012.

1. manda2015

manda2015 New Egg

Nov 8, 2012
    I just bought 9 hens they are 10 months old the person that I got them from said they were all laying. I have had them for a week now and I have only got 2 eggs from them. Is there anything I can do to have them all laying eggs again?

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    They need more time, from what I understand the change of a move can really disrupt things.

Keep up good feed and unfortunately, be patient. Given a few weeks, I would bet you will be getting eggs from them. I hope that helps. Also, due to the days getting shorter in daylight, some of them may not return to egg laying for a little while when the daylight is longer. Their little chicken bodies are very reliant on light for egg laying.

You can supplement by having a light come on in the coop early in the morning and then have it go off once the sun is up so they get a total of 14 hours daily, but that is totally dependent on what you have available electric wise in your barn.

Good luck.

3. manda2015

manda2015 New Egg

Nov 8, 2012
    ok thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by