Hens are sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dezincarolina, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Dezincarolina

Dezincarolina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    South Carolina
    All 5 of my Hen's are sick. Any advice would be much appreciated - I've searched the threads but just became confused.

1. diarrhea
    2. VERY lethargic
    3. no interest in eating
    4. combs pale and drooped over
    5. stopped laying today

all six months old and each is a different breed. They are still drinking water some. Worried.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cocci is always the first thought. Sometimes there is blood in the stool, sometimes not depending on the strain. Usually by 6 months they are immune to cocci, but if they are new to your property, someone has been recently added, or shoes have tracked in a new strain of the 9 strains that chickens get, coccidiosis would be my guess. Corid liquid 2 tsp per gallon water for 5 days is what most people treat with. Heat is another thought.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would also take a look around to make sure there is no moldy food, nothing poisonous they could have gotten into (rat poison of plants,) and I would check their crops to make sure they are emptying by morning. Full squishy crops can signal sour crop. Check their vents for swelling or stuck eggs, vent gleet (a fungal infection with diarrhea or stuck on poo, redness and white patches around vent.) You can check the vent by inserting a gloved and lubricated finger inside it if you think a hen is eggbound.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by