Hens are throwing all their feed out of the feeder and on to the ground

Thanks everyone for the replies. The 5-gal bucket idea is great but won't work in my coop. The bucket would take up too much "real estate" inside my little 4-hen coop. I've decided on just partially filling the existing feeder and leaving it out for a day or two when the pile on the ground is more than is in the feeder!! Thanks again to everyone for your comments.

I made a bucket feeder almost identical to the one shown. But, I have one chicken that still spends minutes at the feeder, just flinging the feed out onto the ground. So, you can't tell me it's foolproof. She wastes as much food, if not more, that they all eat. So, we remove the bucket so they HAVE to eat the food on the ground. Then replace the feeder when the wasted food is eaten off the ground.

Thats what they do. I have one that if she's not dunking her beak all to the bottom and throwing it all over the place she's not happy.

Let them pick the food out of the ground before you re feed them. It won't go to waste.

Aaron

I have a couple who just prefer to eat off the ground and another couple who just chow down in the feeder with no spillage. I don't think there is much waste really because they pick everything off the ground pretty effectively it seems to me.

You can try adding a piece of split tubing to the lip of the feeder - the stuff you would use to hide cords on your desk with, from Home Depot or similar. It puts more of an edge on the feeder, so it's harder to flick the pellets out. And play around with the height, should be level with their backs.

You pay for a good feeder even if you don't buy one. Through wasted feed. A good feeder has a door, a tall front panel and a 90 degree feed lip that prevents raking for 95% of the birds out there. And side panels, and you stretch the chicken out when eating so they focus on keeping the treadle down and not on raking feed looking for treats.

A good feeder also has the ability to install a taller feeder lip extender for those rare cases where a hen has learned to rake feed. Adding that FLE, Feeder Lip Extension, prevents all feed raking.

Had the same problem I made a 5 gallon bucket with two 90degree elbows 3inch, they have to stick their heads in the hole and can't fling the food out, cut the elbow so it is about 3/4 of an inch off the bottom of the bucket and I put a little caulking around the elbow just to make sure no water gets in, this thing is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I wonder if you would think about making another and take step by step pictures and creating an article for us. I would love to make a couple of these but have no idea how to cut the hole, trim the elbow or calk.
It looks ideal!

I second this post...........Jetdog told me about the one in the picture above and I'm so glad he did!!!! I had what you have and will NEVER use it again. TSC makes a killing on those junk feeders that waste food!!!!

There's a link in my signature below that will show you how to make one for about $3 bucks. It holds 25lbs of food, no poop can get in the food, and ABSOUTELY no waste. You will never use another feeder once you have one of these. Guaranteed!!!!!!!!!!

Link https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3
I have an expensive tube feeder that essentially does the same thing. They have to stick their head inside. They are still flicking the food out with their beak. I am going with not filling it until they clean up the mess and not filling it all the way. They emptied a full feeder.

Back
Top Bottom