Hens aren't laying in nest boxes.....

My RIR started laying in the hedge, it took me two days to find her nest but I noticed she was missing from the flock for long periods of time. Once I knew where here nest was the next time I saw her heading off there I caught her on her way (thank God for the chicken squat!) and put her in the nest box and shut the coop door so she couldn't get out until the deed was done. She has laid in there every time since.

Hope that helps.

I have only had one or two eggs on the coop floor since I have had my chickens. All of those were kicked out of a nest. There have always been golf balls in the nest, at least a couple. I have 4 nest boxes, 8 hens. After cleaning out the coop this weekend, I removed the balls. Yesterday I found 2 eggs on the coop floor in a corner, in a scratched out nest. Golf balls return today.

We haven't seen any on the ground the last few days. Hopefully they are watching the white leghorns and learning from them! If not, we'll definitely try the golf balls! Thanks for all the advice
smile.png

Golf balls never worked for me, and the plastic Easter eggs they always just angrily pecked open, as if they were saying, "Psh, yeah THAT is convincing lady." I went to the local craft store and bought 2 white wooden craft hen eggs and tossed those in there, and they worked a charm! The weight is about right for them and they stand up to a lot of abuse well.

I am watching this thread for some experienced advice for a similar problem. My leghorn laid her first egg in one of our "Opa" styled roll out nests. I was thrilled, finally an egg and in the right place. The next day another egg in the same nest. I was so proud of my little leghorn. Hoping the rest of the pullets follow her lead soon. But then third day no egg, fourth day she laid an egg in the run, fifth day she again laid the an egg in the run. Today the leghorn is locked in coop with a few other pullets that I couldn't couldn't get out to the run.

I am hoping this encourage the leghorn to lay back in the nest box.

Last edited:
I lock the hen in the nest box using an open grate as a see through door. Put her in before she lays and let out after laying. A day or 2 and she usually has learned.

Quote:
Update:

A friend just called me at work. He stopped by my house and checked the coop. I had an egg in the nest box-Yeah! He let Ms. Leghorn out in the run with the rest of her friends. I hope she gets the hint that eggs belong in the nest box. She had been off to a good start and then.....who knows...she started acting like a "bird brain" and laying in the run! Today a little attitude adjustment, I just hope it sticks.

Back
Top Bottom