Hens ate small amount of medicated feed/ toss the eggs?

Haunted Chicken

Songster
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Oregon
I have 6 week old chicks in a temporary run during the day so. Not only so they can get out of the brooder during the day, but so the hens can get used to seeing them in "their" yard. Yesterday I noticed the chicks flinging some of the medicated feed (while scratching) out of the run. The hens were gobbling it up as fast as they could. No matter how hard I try they seem to find a way to get enough feed out of the feeder to make a mess and kick it out of the run.

Do I need to toss the eggs? I'm sure they are getting tiny amounts of medicated crumbles but they are getting some. I figure they have about 2 months left of the medicated feed. I hate to just toss it, or take them off too soon for that matter. But I'd hate to toss the eggs too
hu.gif

I actually sometimes give my hens a sprinkle of chick feed as a treat, every once in a big while, and I never toss the eggs. Since your girls are getting so little of the chick feed, I don't think it would make a difference. Your eggs should be fine. :)

Jeez, why would you toss them? My hens keep stealing the wee ones' feed, which they love, and it never once occurred to me to worry about their eggs! In fact, I was advised to give chick feed to a limping hen, since it apparently has more protein. All the eggs are perfectly delicious!

It's a common misconception that the "medicated" feed contains some sort of antibiotic or something. It is, in a way, an antibiotic but all it does is inhibit thiamine uptake so the organisms causing cocci will be kept under control. It won't hurt you any more than it does the chick. Plus, the tiny amount that might end up in an egg... Just eat them.

I already tossed the bag, but I'm 99% sure it's Purina's medicated chick start. Thanks for all the responses. Makes total sense that they would be fine. Guess I'm a first time worrier =)

Back
Top Bottom