Hens attacking each other...

OTchick

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Northwest, PA
The last 2 days I have noted blood on the head area and wounds on the combs of 2 of my hens. While observing them today, my rooster mated/attempted to mate several times with various hens. While he was trying to do his stuff, the hen protested loudly and 2 other hens came and began visciously pecking her on the head. I have never seen this behavior before. Any ideas as to the cause?

You know, that's a good question. I've noticed the same thing with mine except it was just one hen that pecked the one being mated. It must have something to do with the pecking order, is my guess. I hope a chicken psychiatrist comes along soon to answer your question!!

They have a very small brain, no telling what they're thinking, or if they even are. Seems to me that hens are mainly motivated by food. The rooster, well... you know his motivation. Could be he gets them all over excited and they do things they wouldn't ordinarily do, such as try to be a rooster too. Could be a reaffirmation of the pecking order. Hard to say, ya got me.

Chickens are like that. They dont share sentiment or congeniality among themselves as we know it.
The strong survive and the weak suffer, in their world. They are prone to inflicting suffering on one another when the opportunity presents itself.
I;ve siad it many times, "The Chicken World is a Savage Place."

Back
Top Bottom