Hens balding on back

Mia1023

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2022
I’ve noticed two of my over a year old coturnix quail hens are balding on their backs. They are in a cage with two other girls which are younger than them and they aren’t balding. I checked for mites but I didn’t see any bites, eggs, or any bugs. I’m thinking it is from their age because they’re over a year old and their younger roommates aren’t balding. There are no Roos in the cage all are laying eggs daily. The younger ones have never bullied them or mounted on them or anything. Is this from age or something else?
89EB62C4-2A29-4B46-9414-17CC4962D1D6.jpeg

I’ve noticed two of my over a year old coturnix quail hens are balding on their backs. They are in a cage with two other girls which are younger than them and they aren’t balding. I checked for mites but I didn’t see any bites, eggs, or any bugs. I’m thinking it is from their age because they’re over a year old and their younger roommates aren’t balding. There are no Roos in the cage all are laying eggs daily. The younger ones have never bullied them or mounted on them or anything. Is this from age or something else? View attachment 3504593
I had that happen with two of my breeder sets after I provided them with dust baths with the very best quality sandbox sand. Thank God I didn’t let all 8 of my breeder sets take dust baths. I researched this and found that sand dirt baths cause abrasion and wearing of their feathers.

I used only the best quality store-bought sandbox sand. I will not use diatomaceous earth because I read the label and it is poisonous—I am raising organic, non-gmo, antibiotic free quail meat birds and eggs. I will not use wood ash because it discolors the plumage thereby destroying the potential use of the feathers for tying flies (fly fishing lures).

Sorry. I know many people in this forum are huge fans of dirt baths. I will never do it, again. I thank God that I got too busy with other things and didn’t let the other six breeder sets have dust baths before I saw the damage.

I am now treating and healing those who had the sand dirt baths with MMS (Chlorine Dioxide). They are starting to grow new feathers! 🥳 I also started giving the rest of my flock MMS (Chlorine Dioxide) water bottle spray baths and foot baths and they love it.

I do put fleece blankets on the floor of the cage and keep the ambient temperature at 70-75 degrees the night that I give them a MMS spray bottle bath. They love it! They also love listening to The Doors, The BeeGee’s, and James Taylor seeds on Pandora while taking their turn bathing! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom