Hens beak

Swoopie

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
My hens beak is terribly curled under and it's hard for her to eat. How do I cut the tip off?
hu.gif

They bleed really well!
It can be done. And there is a point at which you really need to stop cutting or filing.
First have some Blood Stop or charcoal to stop bleeding if it occurs. Clean/sterile clippers and a fingernail file.
If you are a patient type you can sit with your hen and actually file down the beak end always filing in an away from the body direction. Or if you're the impatient type you can use a toenail clipper and and start clipping away at the tip. HAVE THE BLOOD STOP HANDY!!!
We had one little pullet we had to treat at least every 2 weeks until a hawk got her. If she hadn't been such a sweetie I don't think I'd have gone through so much trouble.
Hope others will also sound in with some advice. This seems to be a common occurence among flocks.

You can trim it with some good snips, if you have bleeding, you went too far. Just clip off the part that you can see light through. It really isn't hard to do. If this is a problem in your flock, you can provide food in a deep dish so the birds with this condition can still eat. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom