1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens behaving badley

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wcah, Sep 23, 2013.

1. wcah

wcah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Shropshire, England. UK
    Mooved my hens to a larger coop as too many an not enough perch space in there old one which was causing fights to get a perch. Now they are in the larger coop with about enough space for another 4 hens, an now NONE of them perch now they all sleep in the nestboxes, which inturn makes shity nestboxes an so dirty eggs. How can i get them to perch? Why have they decided to sleep in there nest boxes? They have now been in there larger coop for 2 weeks now.

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The roosts need to be higher than the nest boxes. Block the nest boxes off at night.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are the roosts higher than the nest boxes? If not raise them or lower the nest boxes. Chickens generally roost at the highest point possible. Also for a while block the nest boxes in the evening.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  4. wcah

wcah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Shropshire, England. UK
    Yeh the nestboxes are heigher than the perches. Its the way its constructed by the company that i bought it off i wounder if that is why it was reduced in price. As soon as i read you comments its logical. Oh well a bit of diy this weekend i feel is on the cards. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by