1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens Being Agressive towards small dogs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennF, May 12, 2016.

1. JennF

JennF Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Bracebridge, Ontario
    My moms 2 small dogs were chased and attacked today by 3 hens (approx 18 months old). Up till now no issues. The hens actually ran across the yard and chased them under the car and kept pecking them. Any ideas why the sudden change in behavior? We have had no problems until now.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Possibility the dogs were messing with the hens.Some are just protective.How long have the dogs been there?
    Possibility the hens are broody?

3. JennF

JennF Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Bracebridge, Ontario
    5 of the 6 hens are new to our flock. The alpha hen Queenie has been around the dogs for over a year. The others only a month. Queenie thinks she is a dog and lines up for a treat. The others were ok until today. Could they be more comfortable now and wanting to rule the roost? They free range during the day and have plenty of room to explore.. maybe they thought they were getting treats and chased the dogs away??

4. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Since 80% of your flock is new, that is a HUGE change in a chicken's world. It could be the newer birds are just starting to get comfortable in their new digs and now feel comfortable enough to assert their territorial boundaries. Whereas before they were too unsure/scared to do anything with the dogs.

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    agreed.Chickens are territorial and may see the dogs as flock memebers or if they have never seen a dog they may find it a dangerous,but easy target.When I got my new pups the chickens knew they were not the dogs they were use to and would attack them.

Also,my neighbors let their dog run threw our yard and the hens would run and flog it.

6. JennF

JennF Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Bracebridge, Ontario
    Thank you all [​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Aww...poor pups...but it sure sounds like an excellent AFV scenario.

8. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I purposely introduced my new pup to the chickens when I first got him at 8 weeks just so the birds might teach him a lesson. My broody bantams happily obliged and gave him a couple good frights, puffing up and running at him with wings flapping. He has a healthy amount of respect for them that I'm hoping he will carry with him as he grows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by