Hens being lethargic and eyes closed

So I just happened to check the food stats... Turns out it's medicated. I had no idea...I never use medicated feed. Could this be the reason the hens are acting like they are?
image.jpg

Hi. So sorry I went offline and you did not get help. How are your hens?

To pill them, I loosely wrap a hen in a towel and sit her on my lap facing my right side. I gently pin her down with my left forearm, reach around her head from the back with my left hand, pinch with my fingers at the sides if her beak, and pop the pill in with my right hand. They tend to swallow it instinctively. I would not push it back too far for fear of blocking the breathing hole, which is in the middle of the back of the throat.

They seem ok. I gave her the pill Tuesday night and she took it no problem. Also stuck my finger in her vent to check for eggs. Never want to do that again! Lol The one hen spent most of her afternoon in the nest box and slept there last night on top of 4 eggs so I'm wondering if she is going broody. She will allow me to take the eggs without fussing so I'm still not sure. I put out oyster shells and it got pecked at a few times and then left alone. I also stopped using the fermented medicated food and made sure I got unmedicated this time. Will continue to keep an eye on her and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom