Hens being mean to recently broken broody!

Sep 13, 2021
Central Arkansas
I have a hen that I recently broke of broodiness. I broke her when the other chickens went to the fair. When the two other hens came back they started picking on her. They are at least two times the size of her. Should I seperate Plum (the broke broody) and give her good food (and hydro hen?) Plum runs under my rooster (Little Big) when they chase her. Please tell me what I should do?! Thanks!

How long were they separated? Was she brooding long? If you have a large flock and it's only these two causing the trouble, it may be better to 'see but don't touch' the bullies, rather than the broody.

I have a hen that I recently broke of broodiness. I broke her when the other chickens went to the fair. When the two other hens came back they started picking on her. They are at least two times the size of her. Should I seperate Plum (the broke broody) and give her good food (and hydro hen?) Plum runs under my rooster (Little Big) when they chase her. Please tell me what I should do?! Thanks!
This happens frequently in my flock after the broody rejoins everyone. They can see each other the whole time, but the broody is confined while her hormones settle down. There's just something about the ex-broody that sets a few of the others off. There has never been blood drawn, so I just let them work it out. I don't have a rooster. He may be an asset in this situation and help things get back to normal more quickly.

That is my whole flock, three hens and a roo. She was broody for nearly two months. I kept meaning to break her but didn't really have the time or tools. They were at the fair for 5 days. There were probably 50 chickens there but they all got 1st place ribbons. Little Big Shot won Grand Champion last year and they really looked at him this year. (They even got out the standard of perfection!)

My broody has never been bullied post brood, but I've given up on breaking her. Maybe them seeing her ostracized in a broody breaker is what's triggering it? I think my flock is very accustomed to my silkie ditching them for the laying boxes for 5 weeks at a time. She's better about self care than when she was younger, but still broods for ages.

Back
Top Bottom