Hen's belly is RED and hot to the touch!! Why?

lifthiminsong

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
One of my RIRs has an extremely red belly that is hot to the touch. The area looks like feathers are coming out too. I think she may also be swollen just below her vent. I didn't notice and parasites, etc. She's still eating and acting normal, but the symptoms concern me.
Any thought and/or suggestions?
Thanks!

Do you have a photo of him, perhaps he is just molting, i have a couple frizzle roos that turn blood read all over when they molt and it is hot to the touch, the skin is renewing itself for new feather growth, some jet a little red is certin areas some get red all over.

This is Kung fu henny she molts almost all her feathers but only gets a little pink.

Here she is dressed in her black feathers LOL

This is Berry, i do not normally name my roos as i have so many but when i saw his red tail it reminded me of a upside down strawberry

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks so much for your response and for including pics.

Her belly is pretty much bare, but her feathers are full everywhere else. Like I said before, she's still eating, but I don't think I've noticed her laying lately. So a molt, as you've suggested, is probable and what I'll continue to watch for.

When one of my other RIRs went through her molt a month of so ago, she acted funny for about a week prior and then lost a ton of feathers. I guess each one molts differently, eh?

Thanks again.
I feel comforted. :)

Do you have a photo of him, perhaps he is just molting, i have a couple frizzle roos that turn blood read all over when they molt and it is hot to the touch, the skin is renewing itself for new feather growth, some jet a little red is certin areas some get red all over.

This is Kung fu henny she molts almost all her feathers but only gets a little pink.
OMGosh that is freaky!!!

Back
Top Bottom