Hen's breaking and eating egg?

katekearby

Chirping
5 Years
May 7, 2014
I don't know if it's one that's doing it or who, or if they are accidentally broken then eaten? I've had my hens nearly a year and this has just happened 2 times in the last month. Are they needing some supplement? Is this going to be a problem?

TIA for any help with this.

Kate

Not sure if you have seen it, but there is a nice article in the Learning Center that covers most of the points on dealing with / breaking egg eaters. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/six-tips-on-breaking-your-egg-eater Also be sure they have a good diet, and you have extra calcium available for them (oyster shell free choice) even if you are feeding a complete Layer feed. Iff it is just starting you should hopefully be able to deal with it, but it is a hard almost impossible habit to break once it is established in the flock, so the sooner you can stop them the better... if you are able to narrow it down to one or two hens you might consider culling them from the flock since they can teach other hens how to do it, and they are more likely to repeat the behavior at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom