Hens butchered today-do you ever get used to it?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I knew this day would come but I've been so weepy all day. Does it ever get easier? We raise our own hogs and cattle but I don't interact with them much, if any. The chickens were my job and until I hurt my back last year, I was out there with them every day (then dh took over the watering and feeding but I still gathered eggs every day and threw out grain and leftovers for them). I used to raise meat birds but they were only around for a few weeks and didn't have much of a personality. I woke up earlier than normal today and just laid in bed and kept thinking and thinking and it's been that way all day (minus the laying in bed part). I feel like a sappy idiot. :(

It doesn't help that people are saying things that make me feel bad about it. I know some people keep them around until they die of old age but that was never our plan.

My philosophy is, that if we choose to eat chicken meat, it is better to raise and kill the birds ourselves so they have a better life and quicker ending than the poor things that end up in the supermarkets. However, I am still trying to build up to that stage myself....at the moment I am simply eating more veggies..... but my dogs and elderly cats have to be fed too....

I feel so sorry for you and know what I am going to be like. I am trying to pluck up courage to cull a sick bird and cannot even do that yet! Deep breaths....once it is done, it is done.

It's never easy but you do get used to it after awhile, for me processing rabbits is the worst. After the killing part it's just another chore then. The number one thing I strive for is a quick kill.

I knew this day would come but I've been so weepy all day. Does it ever get easier?

Yes, it does. Now I am so focused on doing everything humanely, cleanly, and safely that I don't think so much about the part that used to make me so sad and grumpy.

But it does take a while to get there.

Thanks everyone. I thought I'd feel better today and I think I do a little, but I had to get something from the freezer and there are my chickens. bummer. I think I'll have to wait a few weeks to eat one. We only kept a couple of them and gave the rest to other family members and friends. Mainly I had one EE hen that had such a personality-she was a total drama queen. If one of the others just looked at her sideways she'd squawk like she was being pecked to death. I've been thinking about her most of all. :(

Thank goodness I have my pictures, video and memories. :cd

Awww.. so sorry! I've been there - it's a tough place.
hugs.gif

It's gotten easier for me. Maybe because I've learned to remember that at some point they'll end up in the freezer, and that helps me "guard my heart" a bit. I still love them and name them, but will never get as attached as I did with our first chickens.

I also try to keep in mind that all living things will go one way or another, eventually, and at least I know mine have a much better life than any of grocery store meat products had. Still not much fun... but it helps me appreciate the contribution and makes me not want to waste anything.

Aw, yea, I understand how you feel <3. It does get a little bit easier. You have to focus on the good your doing.

For me, processing birds of unique personality and color was the worst, because it got personal. Because of that I switched to birds very indistinguishable from each other and stopped interacting with them beyond food/water. That made it a 'little' easier. I had to keep doing it though.

What helped me was the "Chicken Lady" on youtube.com (
). She brought up some good points. Video is graphic, she's processing a chicken start to end but talking about her philosophy. It made me feel better after my first processing.

For me I never find it pleasant but I try to do it quick. Unlike the "Chicken Lady" where she seems to draw it out.

It was difficult for me the first few times, mainly because my inexperience caused it to not be as quick and easy as I wanted/expected. Now that I have that part down pat, it doesn't bother me. It is food that had a far better life than anything I can buy at the store and was treated better even at slaughter time. Some of it is just a matter of practice.

Back
Top Bottom