Hen's cloaca torn and hanging out.

Keep the prolapse tissue moist with honey or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment so that it does not dry out. It may be injured and swollen now, but eventually, it needs to be pushed back inside. Keep her separated with food and water, and away from flies. A 15 minute warm soak at least once a day to keep her clean may help.

IMG_4827.jpeg

Her injury looks pretty extensive. Be sure to do the soaks. I would use something like chlorhexidene or betadine in the water for disinfection, and then when dry, use the antibiotic ointment. Hopefully, it will heal, but since it looks a little dark, there could be some necrotic or dead tissue. That can affect how she lays eggs or poops in the future.

Her injury looks pretty extensive. Be sure to do the soaks. I would use something like chlorhexidene or betadine in the water for disinfection, and then when dry, use the antibiotic ointment. Hopefully, it will heal, but since it looks a little dark, there could be some necrotic or dead tissue. That can affect how she lays eggs or poops in the future.
Thank you so much for your reply and advice. I did all that was suggested, but bless her heart, she nor the other hen who's wounds I thought weren't as severe, even though I treated her as well, didn't make it. So far the rooster and one hen are on the mend.
I truly am sick to death of my girls being in their own yard and this happening to them. I love all animals, but God help the dog/dogs if I ever personally catch them.

Back
Top Bottom