Hens & Cockerels???? My husband wants to butcher my hens.

Definitely cockerels!! All but Betty, as has been pointed out.

Actually, this is not a reliable way to sex a chicken, or any other bird for that matter. All black feathers will sheen, usually green, but can sheen other colors. It doesn't matter if the bird wearing the feathers is male or female, they will sheen. My Black Jersey Giant hen, and my black EE hen both sheen greenish (and sometimes purples and blues) in bright sunlight.
Yeah, you know how everyone busts out the saddle feathers pic. We need one for explaining feather iridescence as it comes up far too often.

Feather iridescence is structural and based on the viewing angle and amount of light as it refracts in the feather. It is not specific to the sex. Many breeds only get black tail feathers or the large sickle tails in the males which helps to reinforce this incorrect notion.
IMG_9503.jpg
Struct-Color-DIA-Iridescent_Myaedit_coloracrticle-674x441.jpg

Feather iridescence is structural and based on the viewing angle and amount of light as it refracts in the feather. It is not specific to the sex. Many breeds only get black tail feathers or the large sickle tails in the males which helps to reinforce this incorrect notion.
View attachment 1835685 View attachment 1835686
I did say "usually". While it is true that some breeds, the females have feather irridescence in their tailfeathers, there are far more breeds where it occurs in males only. This irridescence also tends to be far more dramatic in males, even if it can be detected in the females as well.
Like so many other bird species, chickens have evolved so that the male is the flashier, pretty looking bird, whereas the females tend to have more of a bland, plain look about them. Again, there are always exceptions, but I am going to stand by my previous statement re: the green tailfeathers.

I thought long and hard, and even looked a couple of facts up before deciding to argue this point, lol. You are welcome to do your own research as well!

Last edited:
View attachment 1835685 View attachment 1835686
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
I think you are right regarding the incorrect association from the irrisesent black tail feathering in some roosters.
I have two pretty marans cross pullets (the "midnight majesties" being offered by hoovers this year) and they are so pretty with the green, blue and purple iridescence....I never get tired of looking at them in the sunlight

Back
Top Bottom