Hens comb ripped halfway off!! HELP

KarateGurl

Hatching
Jan 19, 2016
Our hen has gotten her comb half ripped off. We dont know how, we just know that it was bleeding for a while. She wont stand up though. She is keeping her feet balled up, we dont know why. Shes eating and drinking too. Shes an old hen. What can we do to help her??? This happened yesterday and shes still won't walk. The bleeding has stopped.

Do you have predators around? It looks like it may have been from a predator or she caught it on something. How old is she and what temp is your weather?

Has her comb changed colors? To purple? Try to avoid that from happening. Give her antibiotics (tetracycline). Wipe the blood of with a wet towel and try rubbing some antibiotic ointment on it. I'm not sure if you should bandage it up but maybe someone else has the answer.

As for her feet, chickens do that when they have a great amount of stress or are cold.

Last edited:
Thank you. There were not any predators, she was in the pen at the time. We went outside and she was laying in the mud with a puddle of blood around her head. My parents think that the other chickens were picking on her and did it. 2-3 years old (not completely sure). She's not very energetic anymore, very slowed down, but we are thinking that's from her old age. It's cold here, around freezing, but we brought her inside and have her on some towels in the bath tub. So, she must be stressed. Her comb has not changed colors. We have this spray called Vertericyn, which is for topical applications to wounds.

It was probably her being pecked or bullied than. Keep using the spray, that was a good idea. :)

2-3 years isn't too old. I know some people with hens who are almost 10 years old. Do you have electrolytes? Electrolytes will help her gain energy and maybe help her walk.

One more question. She is staying all fluffed up. I know they do that when their cold to trap in heat, but could it be because shes stressed? And also she isnt opening one eye. Shes only opened it about twice, and shes staying up against the wall on the side of the bad eye. We cannot see anything wrong with they eye.

She was probably pecked in the eye. I agree with why she is all fluffed up. She is probably stressed and is trying to regulate her body temp while she is stressed.

Are you keeping her inside or in your coop?

Back
Top Bottom