Hens complaining after rooster crows

SarahHalliday

In the Brooder
May 22, 2019
I’ve noticed a new behaviour pattern in some of my hens and I tried to find out more about why they do it but it seems like an ungoogleable search!

Basically whenever my rooster crows, three of the gals make this complaining sound. It’s the same one they make when they want to lay an egg in a spot they can’t get to. For my polish hens it’s a horrible screechy monkey sound and for my Wyandotte it’s more like a low whiney sigh.

My hypothesis is that it’s because they don’t like the rooster (he’s mean to the Polish and indifferent to the Wyandotte). So when he’s making his ‘I am king’ declaration, their complaining sounds are a kind of ‘no you’re not!’ response.

I think these hens may also look more to me as their rooster, as they like to preen near to me, generally follow me around wherever I go and let me pick them up and stroke them.

I’d be interested to hear thoughts from the professionals!

Sarah

Mine also did that but I think it was out of annoyance towards Joffrey more than anything; he CONSTANTLY crowed, like every 5-10m during the day.

In my head it went like this:
Joffrey: *singing the song of his people*
Hens: WILL YOU SHUT THE F UP ALREADY?!!?!?!?!?! YOUVE SANG THAT SAME VERSE 18573 TIMES TODAY!!! YOURE DRIVING US MADDDDDDDD

It seemed to get worst once he turned aggressive and after we processed, he ran away, the girls have quieted down and we rarely hear them.

I’ve noticed a new behaviour pattern in some of my hens and I tried to find out more about why they do it but it seems like an ungoogleable search!

Basically whenever my rooster crows, three of the gals make this complaining sound. It’s the same one they make when they want to lay an egg in a spot they can’t get to. For my polish hens it’s a horrible screechy monkey sound and for my Wyandotte it’s more like a low whiney sigh.

My hypothesis is that it’s because they don’t like the rooster (he’s mean to the Polish and indifferent to the Wyandotte). So when he’s making his ‘I am king’ declaration, their complaining sounds are a kind of ‘no you’re not!’ response.

I think these hens may also look more to me as their rooster, as they like to preen near to me, generally follow me around wherever I go and let me pick them up and stroke them.

I’d be interested to hear thoughts from the professionals!

Sarah
😂 mine shake their heads kind of like it bothers their ears. Or to tell him shut up!

I used to have a rooster that sounded the alarm every time I stepped into the chicken yard because I always knocked him off the young pullets when he tried to mount one. The older hens tended to cackle and complain. Especially if it was after roost. I eventually dispatched him because he killed my first ever hatched pullet. The girls don't seem to mind the other roosters I have. The two main ones keep the younger ones in line.

Mine also did that but I think it was out of annoyance towards Joffrey more than anything; he CONSTANTLY crowed, like every 5-10m during the day.

In my head it went like this:
Joffrey: *singing the song of his people*
Hens: WILL YOU SHUT THE F UP ALREADY?!!?!?!?!?! YOUVE SANG THAT SAME VERSE 18573 TIMES TODAY!!! YOURE DRIVING US MADDDDDDDD

It seemed to get worst once he turned aggressive and after we processed, he ran away, the girls have quieted down and we rarely hear them.
Aaaaah so it’s true!

Back
Top Bottom