1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens Crowing in the morning!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redmeanie, Nov 21, 2008.

1. redmeanie

redmeanie New Egg

May 17, 2008
    Hello.

Do any of you guys know why our 2 hens have started crowing to announce the morning? Every morning, about 7.30, just as it starts to get light, they're off!! My 5 year old girl asked me why they were barking. Barking? I asked. Yes, 'bark, bark, bark' bark' (in a chicken sound way). They squark like mad.

We've had them 7 months now, and they've never done this before.
    They have a coop, and a run. The coop has a door leading to the run and I don't tend to shut this at night. IF I do shut it, they don't make a noise in the morning (Im guessing it's because it's still dark in their coop). But leave the door open, and they're up at 7.30, out in the run crowing away without fail. They have plenty of food, and water. No cats are about. And they're pretty quiet the rest of the time.

If I shut it, and open it up at, say, 8.45, when it's full light - they're fine. Just a few clucks to say hello.

I know it'll be the first question - so I can confirm they ARE hens. They used to lay eggs (but have just been through a moult and so we haven't had an egg for weeks).

The obvious solution is shut the door at night - but I was wondering if anyone could confirm the theory behind it all? Or suggest what's up.

So no eggs... and crowing in the morning...
    Please tell me my hens aren't turning into boys!! [​IMG]

2. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Two of mine do this and they sound like geese - no kidding! It sounds like this every single morning..

HONKKKK..HOOOOOOOOONKKKK HOOOOOONNNKKKK!! back and forth back and forth for about an hour or so. [​IMG] Gets pretty loud out there. They also do it when they're inside laying an egg - they squawk and announce to the others "Oh yeah - I'm doin' the duty and my eggs the BEST one" [​IMG]

Havent a clue why they do it - but they do. Sometimes the others do this weird noise too:

Bawwwwwk..bawk bawk BAH-GAWWWHHHKKKK HOOONNK BAH-GAWWWHHHK! [​IMG]

3. redmeanie

redmeanie New Egg

May 17, 2008
    Thanks Hennysmom, sounds exactly like the sort of noise. (or at least how I would spell it too!!!)

Does anyone have any idea why they would do it? Like I mentioned, they never used to!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by