Hens depressed stop eating.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensrfood, Mar 22, 2011.

1. chickensrfood

chickensrfood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    I had a hen get sort of depressed and listless and noticed she was trying to eat pellets but not actually eating any. She lost weight and eventually died. I opened her up to check for a ruptured egg and found nothing inside. I have since wormed my flock (wazine) but now appear to have another hen showing similar symptoms. These are adult white leghorns. Any advice or ideas appreciated.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    no ideas just wanted to say sorry for your loss and hope someone may be able to help you figure out whats going on.

3. chickensrfood

Jul 24, 2010
    thank you I hope I can save this hen.

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Treat for lice and mites and treat for worms again using Eprinex.

What is their diet like?

Do they get to free range at all.

How old are they?

5. chickensrfood

Jul 24, 2010
    They eat layer pellets and free range 3-4 days a week with access to grassy areas. They are approximately 8-10 months old.

Eprinex from what I can find is ivomec? I have this on hand how do you suggest I treat them? Dosage, and how to administer? Thank you!

6. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I could be wrong but I think with the Eprinex there is not a withdrawal time so you can continue to eat the eggs. With Ivomec pour on you can't eat the eggs for a period of time. Sorry but I don't know the exact information. If you have Ivomec pour on use a dropper or a syringe without the needle. For a regular size chicken put 3 drops on the back of the neck on the skin. If you put it on the feathers it will not work. Has to go on the skin. For a smaller chicken like a bantam use 2 drops.

Treat them once and then again in 7 days.

My post will bump you up and if I'm wrong someone will give you the correct information.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't understand it either. I've had a few the last 2 years that were fine, just stopped eating. I'm still wondering why. One of mine is currently doing it. Fine in every way, just not eating the crumbles. If I go out with bread, she's a hog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by