hens don't like scrach grain--from w.v.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bmchickens, Nov 15, 2008.

1. bmchickens

bmchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2008
    w.v.
    our hens seem to be addicted to laying mash and don't seem at all excited when offered scratch grain. we've been offering it as temps here are dipping into 40's &30's a lot. doesn't seem to affect laying habits,though. anyone have similar experience? any thoughts or advice will be considered and appreciated.

2. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

I have different kinds of scratch to offer my birds and they love them all...I give different ones on different days so they dont get bored with it...

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    try some black sunflower seeds

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I give my birds treats of scratch, (oats, unhulled sunflower seeds, once in awhile bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I give them my scraps from my kitchen. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow including all kinds of greens. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes or potato skins. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them. I have never had a problem with their egg production. I keep layer crumbles in their feeder in their coop as well as their waterer in their coop with dishes of free choice granite grit and crushed oyster shells.

Here is the link to BYC Chicken Treat Chart.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  5. PAJerry

PAJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Waterford, PA
    My hens don't care for scratch grains in general but do like black oil sunflower. Cracked corn goes totally to waste. I'm now sprouting wheat for them and they devour the stuff. I'm also getting 9 eggs a day from 10 hens so it must be good stuff!

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Mine will peck a bit at scratch grains (the ones I bought have corn and oats in them) but I spoiled them a bit with wild bird food - they really like white millet and, of course, sunflower seeds, both striped and black oil. I give them a cupful as a treat out in their run - the one they reduced to a barren moonscape within three days! If I'm going to be home through sunset I let them out into the yard for a few hours. They always have layer food in the coop - they're very well fed biddies! [​IMG]

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    When I give my chickens scratch grains,they look at me like im stupid,[​IMG]
    so i give them layer feed.They do like black sunflower seeds sometimes,especially when they are grown from the garden.My chickens are spoiled:)

8. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have heard that pre-packaged mixes can be old and stale -- maybe try other kinds? I get my mix from a local farmer so I know exactly how fresh it is. You may not have that kind of access where you live, but it's just a thought....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by