Hens drinking from nasty puddles that might be contaminated

Mark94

Songster
Apr 8, 2018
Montenegro
:frow Hope you all doing well!
Here's the thing, we've been having heavy rain, for a while here in Eastern EU, thank God we won't be having it for another week or so. Just today half of the area where we have animals flooded... some of the water got into the chicken run and created puddles, my girls are good miners apparently lol. Even though I give fresh water to my hens every day, some of them choose to drink out of those nasty puddles...:heThe thing is, nearly 5 months ago I got rid off of my old hens, which I highly doubt have had MG/Coryza or even both! My current hens are on a different soil, like 10-15 meters away from where the old chickens used to be, my concern is whether they got infected somehow from drinking out of those puddles even though I got rid off of my old hens nearly 5 months ago. The old run is on dry and covered with wood for the fireplace, there are no traces of poop, but it still pokes my brain that the bacteria was lurking there and slipped into the water ending up in puddles... I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. :bow Sucks if they got infected like this, I've been practicing a remarkable biosecurity.

Last edited:
Bucket it out if you want to. Remember chickens came from wild animals ( Junglefowl) that would of had to drink from puddles
The water's gone and so are the puddles. I didn't know that haha... Hopefully they didn't catch anything. I'd be very thankful if someone could still tell me the chances of getting infected this way. Is it possible for MG to survive on the soil after nearly 5 months? And thank you for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom