Hens Eating Eggs..Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Krazieliss702, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Krazieliss702

Krazieliss702 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    I have red star pullets that just started laying about 2 weeks ago..within the past few days we have had problems with them eating the eggs. I litarally have hens that stand by and wait for one of the others to lay her egg and then they attack it as soon as she lays it! Please help if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Best option is to make nest boxes so that the egg can roll out to somewhere else where they can't get it.

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I believe there are plans for making a specialized nest box with an angled botton just for egg eaters, when the egg is layed it rolls to the back in a chamber where the hens can't reach. You can try googling it. And in the meantime you can try to get some plastic eggs or golfballs, and possibly paint (Nontoxic paint of course) them the color of the eggs they are eating and toss them in there, or make them think a hen just layed it. Since the hens can't break plastic eggs or golf balls they might get bored and give up.

4. Settin'_Pretty

Settin'_Pretty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    North Georgia
    It might be caused by a calcium deficiency
    do you give them oyster shell?

5. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    agree with sitten pretty. they are lacking somthing in there diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by