Hens eating glass and polystyrene

Clucky Henhouse

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 18, 2013
Hey Im new to this so hope it works, but my 6 hens have just eaten a disco ball made up of little glass squares and polystyrene. Are they going to be ok do we need to do anything???? HELP worried owners over here !!!!

Thanks guys :)

The glass itself is small regualr squares about half to one cm on each side, its not terribly sharpe though it is a bit scratchy. Im just worried about their insides as i dont know what going on and obviously cannot see inside them.

Does anyone know if there will be any tell tail signs for if they have damage to their insides or crop???

Thanks Eggcessive and to anyone else that has any ideas to do with this
big_smile.png

Was it actually glass or perhaps plastic? Plastic can also be a problem getting stuck in the gizzard. I'm sorry that I am not much help here.

My sister and I were talking and looking at it and think it could possibily be plastic but not 100% sure. Also whats their gizzard???

You have been a great help Eggcessive thank you
smile.png

The gizzard is where the food is ground up for digestion. There are laxatives (epsom salts or molasses mixed in water ) that you can give to flush things out of a chicken, but I would be cautious. You might just want to keep an eye on their droppings today and tomorrow, since they will start passing the objects. Make sure they are not getting sick. Here is some chicken anatomy for you to look at and read: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/poultryprofi.../Chapter3_Anatomy_and_Physiology/Chapter3.pdf

I found pieces of broken glass and small pieces of plastic in my little Cochin's gizzard. Her life was cut tragically short by our dog. My poor kids are devastated! She is the first chicken I have ever processed. I am planning on getting meat chickens this spring so I figured I better get some practice. I have had all of my chickens since last fall and they all appear to be in fine health. But it made me worry about the rest of them when I saw all the glass. I guess it is kind of like them eating pebbles. I'm just so glad that it didn't do any damage but I have no experience if there is a potential to do some really bad internal damage. I have also seen my chickens gobbling up pecked at Styrofoam. Does any one have any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom